Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2018 4:38 am  #1

Small block intake gaskets

So long story short: If you're replacing intake gaskets for your early small block, beware. It seems that not have many of the online retailers like Summit, Jeg's, etc., not really very descriptive in what small block intake gaskets fit what, but now the manufacturers have gotten just as lazy in their applications. Let the buyer beware. 

Why do I say this? Because after three sets of intake gaskets, I FINALLY have the right set. All were listed as fitting a small block Ford 260-351w. While the ports lined up, the water outlets at the front and rear on two of the three were SO much bigger (like a later model 5.0/5.8 head), that the gasket overlaps the mating surface so there would have been NO seal at the front and rear water ports. 

So if you have a 289 with the factory heads I will give you a small list (definitely not complete) of some gaskte sets that will fit. FelPro ms 901031, Edelbrock  7219 (will fit later model also but need to trim out water passages and you will have to rtv instead of cork end seals which works, by the way, very well), Mr. Gasket 5831, MAHLE MS15172. Hope this helps someone else not have to go through what I have over the past week. 

Board footera