Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2018 12:48 pm  #1

generator / voltage regulator

On my 61 Galaxie I'm restoring, I bought a rebuilt generator a while back. Now I am getting to installing the new wiring and a new voltage regulator.Will any good 30 amp volt reg. work or does it have to be compatible or I heard the term "polarized" with the generator? Any help. Thanks in advance . Bob

April 17, 2018 6:30 pm  #2

Re: generator / voltage regulator

A couple of years ago, I bought the Standard Motor Products regulator (VR35) and it included directions to polarize it independent of the generator, which was reportedly polarized by the rebuilder; pretty easy to do in just a few moments.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

May 9, 2018 1:11 pm  #3

Re: generator / voltage regulator

I just wanted to point out that in most cases the resto style with the factory paint are garbage. The service replacements are MUCH better (ask me how I know). You can always get a cover if you're going for the factory appearance. 

Board footera