Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 14, 2018 7:06 am  #1

1962 Galaxie 500 water comes out reservoir

Have a 1962 galaxie with a 390 in it and it likes to leake water out of expantion tank. Doesnt get hot but does leak coolant out of the nipple on the expantion tank at idle or when we stop and after driving. I replaced the radiator with a 3 core aluminum one and added an electric fan as well and still does it. Im a loss. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

April 14, 2018 8:45 am  #2

Re: 1962 Galaxie 500 water comes out reservoir

Radiator shop ought to be able to repair it.  Before my Dad sent his grandson and me back to California with my ride, his local shop correctly solderedthe tank and it's still great; didn't have time to paint it, but a couple of years later, I cleaned the outside with muriatic acid  and refinished it with black radiator paint.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

April 14, 2018 9:31 am  #3

Thank you for such a quik reply, but there is no leak or hole anywhere in the cooling system. I probably should of been more specific, the coolant is coming out of the overflow tube without it beeing hot

April 14, 2018 10:50 am  #4

You may have a hard time accepting this answer, but you can research it for validation.  The expansion tank is not meant to be full.  It is called expansion tank for a reason.   It is meant to a space that gets filled as the water heats up and contracts as it cools down.  Other forums I have read about this, suggest not refilling the tank, and it will find it's "happy medium" on it's own.  That could be half a tank or even less.  As long as you can see fluid in it you are good.  Fill it, let it burp out the excess, and after it stops burping fluid is the right fill level for your engine.  This is provided there are no other known or unknown problems.  

April 14, 2018 11:59 am  #5

mxnocean wrote:

Thank you for such a quick reply, but there is no leak or hole anywhere in the cooling system. I probably should of been more specific, the coolant is coming out of the overflow tube without it being hot

Well thank you for not flaming me which I would deserve; I should know better than to reply before coffee kicks in.  The reply above is spot-on, aligning with the design of the system.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

April 14, 2018 1:52 pm  #6

Thank you guys for the good advice. Ill run it around for a while and let it find its happy place, thank you guys again

April 16, 2018 1:13 pm  #7

If you're seeing the coolant on the ground, then you could rig up a catch bottle to keep the ground dry until it finds it happy spot. The rad in my car is the same way, with out it having the the old FE metal tank configuration. If I open the pressure cap on my rad and fill it to the "fill level" mark on the rad it will dribble out coolant until it is back where it was before I filled it. I have never had any issues with overheating, but I have toyed with the idea of setting up a catch bottle, or maybe even an expansion tank like system that will syphon the overflow back into the rad when it cools. That is not high on my list of things to do, however.

Board footera