Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2018 8:35 am  #1

HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION

Not sure how you all feel about the aftermarket suspension parts that are available for for pre 65 Galaxie s but i dont trust any of them as they are based on poor engineering from mustang base .
 I called Hotchkis yesterday to ask if they planned on doing a kit for our big cars . I was told that if they had enough committed interest in it they would do it. 
 What that means is they need to have 100 individual emails from customers that would purchase the parts when produced.
 I have used Hotchkis kits in the past and know they are a very high quality well engineered product and worth every penny .
 So what do you all think about rallying up some interest and sending in those emails PLEASE
https://www.hotchkis.net/contact/

Last edited by 7sam7 (April 11, 2018 1:03 pm)

April 11, 2018 10:16 am  #2

Re: HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION

7sam7 wrote:

Not sure how you all feel about the aftermarket suspension parts that are available for for pre 65 Galaxie s but i dont trust any of them as they are based on poor engineering from mustang two base .

How could the suspension design of full-sized Fords assembled before 1965 be based on a Mustang of any vintage, never mind that the Mustang II (two?) did not hit the market until the mid-70s.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

April 11, 2018 9:29 pm  #3

7sam7 wrote:

Not sure how you all feel about the aftermarket suspension parts that are available for for pre 65 Galaxies but i dont trust any of them as they are based on poor engineering from mustang base .

Or you could do what I did, take a QA1 coil over front suspension kit designed for a bowtie and retrofit it to work in the Galaxie.  almost a direct fit just had to reinforce the LCA where the shock mounted to take the full spring load.

Made a huge improvement on the way drives and handles plus I was able to dial in the front end height.

There is a full write up as well as lots more pix on the thread that I have linked here.

April 12, 2018 12:30 pm  #4

pkevins wrote:

7sam7 wrote:

Not sure how you all feel about the aftermarket suspension parts that are available for for pre 65 Galaxie s but i dont trust any of them as they are based on poor engineering from mustang two base .

How could the suspension design of full-sized Fords assembled before 1965 be based on a Mustang of any vintage, never mind that the Mustang II (two?) did not hit the market until the mid-70s.

i am talking about what is out there in the aftermarket for the early Galaxies , very light weight and sketchy at best 

April 13, 2018 10:24 am  #5

I think what you said got lost in translation. I get what you are saying. It would be like me buying something meant to take the strain of my '68 Cougar and expecting it to hold up on my '65 500 XL.

April 13, 2018 10:35 am  #6

I believe the aftermarket front ends based on the Mustang II design are just that, based on the Mustang II, not reproductions of Mustang suspensions. Everything that I've ever heard about the Mustang II front suspension is that it has some of the best geometry around and is a fantastic functioning design. The aftermarket kits use the configuration and geometry of the Mustang II design, but are engineered to be stronger and suited for the specific application intended. I don't think it is reasonable to call the aftermarket kits sketchy, in general, but I'm sure some a are better than others.

May 2, 2018 9:06 am  #7

Now if you're talking mustang II, we are in two different time zones. There's a reason that the mustang II market that started in the eighties hasn't gone away. Rack and pinion, great geometry, and the list goes on. Have never taken the plunge personally, but everyone I see at the shows, cruise ins, auto X's, that use them wouldn't use anything else.

Board footera