Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 4, 2018 9:33 pm  #1

4r70w overdrive on/off switch add on

I've been driving my car now for two years since the restoration( 61 Galaxie with a 2002 4.6 and 4r70w transmission) I have always felt that the overdrive comes on a little two early. In 2002 Ford had an on/off switch for the overdrive at the end of the column shifter. I am trying to figure out if there is a way I can add a dash switch to shut off the overdrive? A simple on off switch is what I am after. So, if I hit the highway, I can simply turn the overdrive back on and then shut it off again for city driving. 
Has anyone done this or could provide some information on how to do this. I suck at wiring...so need some help.

Last edited by dan_6776 (April 5, 2018 8:30 am)

April 5, 2018 8:56 am  #2

Re: 4r70w overdrive on/off switch add on

You could use a non latching switch push on/push off type switch and mount it in the dash. You would just need to figure out how many wires are used to complete the circuit. Not that big a deal. I am no expert on that particular trans, however, so figuring out which wires control what I am assuming is converter lockup is going to be the challenge. Surely that wouldn't be too hard to find.

April 5, 2018 12:50 pm  #3

What I have found out so far:
The overdrive on/off switch located in the shifter column had three wires. One wire is 12 volts. One wire grounds out the circuit for the " OD ON" dash light. The last wire sends a 12v pulse to the ECM to engage the overdrive program so the transmission responds accordingly.
I haven't had any luck thus far finding a wiring diagram to know which wire in the harness to tie into for the pulse signal?

April 5, 2018 3:37 pm  #4

Can you just manually shift the trans to get it to hold in 3dr? Are you using the Ford computer, or an aftermarket controller?

April 6, 2018 10:53 am  #5

I am using the factory Ford ECM.
Although the transmission is a 4 speed tranny, it only has three detent positions for the forward gears. Driving in "D" position, the OD will engage. Driving in "2" position, the engine revs too high during city driving. And of course driving in "1" position, is way too low.
If someone has access to a pin identification diagram of the 2002 ECM, it would identify the wire I am trying to find.

Last edited by dan_6776 (April 6, 2018 10:57 am)

April 6, 2018 5:23 pm  #6

I can't be of any help but I do have something to add IF its anything like the OD shut off in my 04 Dakota than it is a momentary switch.  Mine doesn't click or lock in any position.  Also mine defaults to OD every time after the car has been shut off.  I would assume both of these facts would be true of what your trying to do.  Like I said not really much help but info you may need as the project progresses.

April 6, 2018 5:40 pm  #7

Does this help?  is it not the transmission control switch?

April 6, 2018 8:24 pm  #8

Yes, the Ford OD switch is a momentary switch and functions exactly like your Dakota.
Yes it is the TCS. Thanks. What I really need is a pin identification diagram of the ECM. This will identify the wires I am looking for.
Thanks again everyone

Last edited by dan_6776 (April 6, 2018 9:04 pm)

April 11, 2018 9:38 pm  #9

any luck?

April 12, 2018 12:49 pm  #10

Still working on this. I have been corresponding with a guy on another forum that is using a 1995 4.6  and 4r70w from a Lincoln Mark VIII in a 57 Ford.  He is using the factory Lincoln console shifter and it has an OD switch in the shifter handle. He also used a Ron Francis wire kit like me and stated his kit included wiring for an OD switch.
I checked the Ron Francis website following this information and it seems like all of the kits for the 4.6/4r70w have wiring for OD except mine(1999-2004 models)
I sent an email regarding why my kit doesn't include same and they told me they don't have an OD disable for my set up. Not making any sense to me, so I plan on calling them for clarification.
Something is telling me I will have to send the ECM back to them for some programming. 
 Keep you posted.

Board footera