Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 10, 2018 2:43 pm  #1

Need some advice installing Edelbrock 1406 (1969 Galaxie)

Need some advice installing Edelbrock 1406So I have a 69 Gal with a 302, and am ready to swap my Autolite 2100 for an Edelbrock 1406... questions are this...

Not sure where to connect the vacuum lines.. there is a big vac line coming off the manifold to some kind of "vac junction" (In photo) to which the dist vac is connected "B". 

Im sure there is a line to the tranny, just havent located it yet.

The big (center) vac port on the 1406 I will run to the valve cover vent--not the one on the oil cap. "A"

Also, what about the Choke...currently there is a non electric choke... do I have to cap that off? (seems to be two lines coming off that, one runs to the choke "D", one seems to run to the carb "C")

What does one use for the "key on" hot wire for the new electric choke... there is zero space in the fuse box (like only 4 fuses there anyway)

That about rounds out the questions (all the ones I still have after watching all of the Edelbrock vids anyway) 

(and... ok, I'm using the original intake w/ an adapter)

Thanks in advance.

February 13, 2018 6:35 pm  #2

Re: Need some advice installing Edelbrock 1406 (1969 Galaxie)

man thats a lot of vacuum lines!!

A: as you said goes to the big port on the carb
B: looks like a problem wighting to happen, if you could eliminate that all together I would.  
C: can simply be removed and cap that part of the tree (assuming you don't eliminate it)
D: is the heat riser.  It transfers heat from the exhaust to the choke so that it opens properly.  Simple disconnect it.   

There are two vacuum ports on the carb on either side of the big one.  One is ported and the other is direct vacuum, I can never remember which is which.  The ported one goes to the vacuum advance on the distributor the other one could be run to the transmission if you eliminate the tree.  Let me know if that helps and sorry It took me so long to respond.

February 14, 2018 9:21 am  #3

B is the vacuum source that feeds the vacuum manifold on the firewall. That manifold will feed the brake booster, transmission and all other vacuum operated accessories, dampers, valves, headlight doors, etc. There should be no reason, or probably any desire to remove that vacuum configuration if all vacuum operated systems are to remain. If the new carb does not have two big ports, for vacuum and PCV, then a spacer with a port for the vacuum connection could be added.

February 14, 2018 9:52 am  #4

Great point 70XL. The reason I suggested removing it is that tree is mostly plugged off.  At least 5 ports are capped off and those caps are prone to cracking and leaking over time.  If you need multiple vacuum ports for accessories and such a tree is the way to go but after the carb swap he may be able to eliminate it or replace it with a an inline "T" or two.

February 14, 2018 4:33 pm  #5

I can only add that I've never had a leaky cap on my vacuum manifold, even after 48 years of extreme Canadian prairie weather. Those vacuum caps are cheap and easy to replace, when needed, with no cutting and splicing lines. I also think it makes for a nice neat and orderly installation, and you know where to go if you need a vacuum source. That particular installation doesn't look quite as neat as the setup in my car, slightly different location in 69 from 70, and it looks like this car does not have power brakes.

February 17, 2018 6:14 am  #6

Looking at the first pic there is a vacuum operated valve on the heater hose. Do you think his heater switch in the dash is vacuum operated?  I guess the bottom line off the tree is going to transmission modulator.  don't see any other vacuum lines coming off the tree.  I wonder if his heat is even working?  

Last edited by g-man (February 17, 2018 6:17 am)

Board footera