Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2018 10:17 am  #11

Re: Are the extra 49 cubic inches worth it?

Daze wrote:

A big part of it is the heads.  Right now the heads on the 302 are slated to go on the 351, which will give me a CR some where in the range of 9.7:1.  That is a good CR and pump gas is still an option.  but if I stroke it to a 393 the CR goes up to 11.6:1 and then pinging is a real concern even with premium.  I have about $1200 in heads I have and I don't really want to invest that kind of money into another set of heads.

A quick look on Jeg's shows 10:1 compression stroker kits with 58cc heads. They give options for pistons and with valve reliefs of -26cc's the target compression is listed at 10:1. I'm sure that whether you buy a kit, or piece it together on your own you're using new pistons, so you can make it any compression you want. I'm sure you could move that CR up or down a bit with head gasket choice as needed.

February 9, 2018 1:25 pm  #12

Re: Are the extra 49 cubic inches worth it?

I think I will let the engine decide.  I am going to build a run stand and do a compression test on what I have.   If it tests out well I will replace the gaskets and put on the "go-fast" parts, BUT if the engine needs work I may get a 393 stroker kit for it.  we will see.

Board footera