Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2017 11:31 am  #1

Does anyone know if you can shoehorn a 4.6 into a 1959 Country Sedan?

Hello everyone!  I have a wonderful old 1959 Country Sedan that I got a great price.  It was a factory 332 with Cruise-O-Matic transmission.  I bought it because I fell in love with the idea of taking the family to Disneyworld, (Walleyworld If you get my drift), and I foolishly assumed that the FE would be bigger than a newer 4.6.  I turned right around and bought a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis with 70,000 miles at a screaming steal, because I didn't want to make the drive making 12mpg when I know that the 4.6 in the same weight car makes between 26 to 31 depending on how you drive.  I have spent a ton of time getting the old 332 and tranny sold, and the wiring out of the Mercury.  It was after all of this that I realized just how big the 4.6 really is.  I just hadn't paid attention until now.  I am hugely embarrassed by this.  I would really appreciate some input or feedback as to anyone having knowledge of this being done in a 59.

Thanks in advance for you replies!

It doesn't matter where you start from, it's how you finish!

November 29, 2017 6:07 pm  #2

Re: Does anyone know if you can shoehorn a 4.6 into a 1959 Country Sedan?

Yeah the width of that 4.6 due to having overhead cams vs.ohv is a bit of a bugger. There is more than one member who has done a 4.6 swap so hopefully you get more info on fabrication,etc.

In the meantime, a little foid for thought: If you don't want to do the fabbing, have you thought about possibly doing a 5.0 or 5.8 efi and an AOD trans? I know you have already went through the time and expense on the Marquis, but Ho 5.0 engines are still plentiful as are later 5.8 truck engines and with all of the aftermarket harnesses available to make the factory efi work in older chassis could be an alternative.

Mpg would be comparable. I had a '89 Town Car with a 5.0 that was every bit as good on gas as my '07 Marquis.

Just an alternative if it proves to be more than you want to deal with. The Windsor engine WILL fit with room to spare, and you are looking at a revised trans cross member for the AOD. If you go that route get a tci constant pressure valve body. It will turn the TV cable into just a kickdown, and eliminate failure due to a slightly out if adjustment cable.

Just an alternative. Now let's hope you get some good advice on the modular swap.

November 29, 2017 6:16 pm  #3

I put a 4.6 in a 61. I am going to say that motor should fit in your 59 based on those cars being very similar in size. I am pretty sure the front cross member that has the engine mounts is identical on both years. I am not sure about the transmission tunnel size on the 59 however.
You will need to convert to a front sump oil pan with the 4.6, and make a new transmission mount to get it in there. I have many posts on this forum regarding this swap that you may find interesting. If I can be of any further help, let me know.

November 29, 2017 9:39 pm  #4

Guitar74 and Dan_6776 thanks for your replies.  I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind guitar74.  I hope I can get it done with the 4.6.  I am kinda stubborn that way.  Because of being so stubborn, I really appreciate your reply dan_6776.  I am very enthused to hear that you put one in a 61.  I am definitely going to start researching all of your info on here, and thanks for all of the work you've done.  Also, thank you for being willing to answer questions.  I hope you both had happy Thanksgivings, and I pray for both of you to have a blissfully merry Christmas.

November 30, 2017 9:30 am  #5

No worries and thanks for the warm greetings! I wish you all the best with your restoration. I'm happy to help and share information, I'm pretty sure I can save you a ton of time and research. I received a ton of help on this forum with my project I am happy to share and pay forward.

November 30, 2017 3:14 pm  #6

here are the exact measurements of the 4.6 compared to your 332

December 1, 2017 5:52 am  #7

Saw a 54 Ford Ranch Wagon with a 4.6 in it a couple years ago. I don't think you'll have too many problems with a 59.

December 2, 2017 7:56 pm  #8

Glad someone with first hand experience on the swap was able to help you. Good luck with it, and post some progress pics.

January 18, 2018 8:44 am  #9

Look up Rich on the 57Fordsforever forum, he did one in a '57 Ford that came out great. He also posts on the HAMB '52-'59 sub-forum.

Last edited by BOBSS396 (January 18, 2018 8:49 am)

March 14, 2018 10:29 pm  #10

I obviously haven't been on for a while, otherwise I would have seen that guitar74 requested some pictures.  Well, I don't have any progress pics. just yet, but I am posting these to show where I am starting from.  Don't laugh.  ;-)

https://imageshack.com/i/poj949FEj

Last edited by 1959_Long_Country (October 1, 2018 11:18 pm)

Board footera