Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2017 7:08 pm  #11

Re: Coyote engine in a 61 Country Squire

They are plentiful here in my neck of the woods. They are a terrific engine, great ve when you think of the numbers for such a small ci engine. When you add in the fuel consumption it is incredible. BUT...my bosses f150 quad cab short bed will scoot (drove it today so that's why the back peddle) and I can't imagine it weighs any less than the wagon in question. Go with say a 3.50 rear gear and six forward gears and I think the launch would also be covered.

For simplicity, I would still probably keep the 390, go with a built overdrive (if you go aod make sure you use a constant pressure valve body-then your TV cable is just a kickdown and no danger of cooking it from being slightly out of adjustment. Don't know if they make a bollocking adapter to fit aod to 390), and fi. You could also go gear vendors overdrive on your current trans and have six forward gears that way.

Whatever you choose, you're gonna leave my '65 in a cloud of dust.

By the way....Sweet ride.

November 26, 2017 6:06 pm  #12

Whenever I think of a project like this, I think how much it will cost, and the trouble it will cost, and then I think how many gallons of gas I can buy with that same money.

Plus the car will be down for quite a while while you do the install.

Is it really worth it?

November 28, 2017 5:05 am  #13

You make a terrific point. One that none of us considered. If you go with a new engine with the trans, you're looking at $12-$14k. This isn't even touching fab time/cost. Used will be considerably cheaper, but you still have to consider fabrication.

I spoke with my nephew who has had a fitech setup on his pickup for over a year now and he loves it. Also on a 390. Said the install was easy even for him, and the truck runs smoother, has cost him less in gas just from less extended warm up, and he fills up less. Keep in mind this is in a truck driven every day, with a 3.7 gear and no overdrive.

I would be willing to bet if you did an efi conversion, and an overdrive trans swap, you will come out ahead with the 390. Whatever money you spent on the 390 is pretty much spent so you would be adding the cost of the efi and trans, an adapter for the bell housing, and quite a bit less fab time. If you went new with the trans, adapter plate, constant pressure valvebody if you go AOD, fabrication (which wouldn't be a lot with AOD), and say the fitech with others you can spend $1-$1500 more.   Around $3900-$4500with a contingency of $1000-$1500 more for odd and end stuff like nice TV cable, flex plate, converter, etc. Let's just call it $6000.

At least here, unless you go to a pull apart junk yard, from what I've researched with phone calls and emails, you are looking at spending almost that for an engine and trans of an unknown quantity (did the previous owner actually take care of it before he wrecked it? It is in a scrap yard for a reason). The cheapest I found was from a truck for both and they wanted $3000 for both with no guarantee on either. Prices may be better in your neck of the woods.

Like Mason said, if you look at your total cost and add in your time, the fuel mileage gained would probably take a very long time. If it helps my boss is getting between 19&21 mpg in his pickup with the coyote engine. I can coax 20-23 mpg from my '95 with a 300 straight six if I keep it under 75. Is it as fast? I think we all know the answer to that. BUT, I can haul more weight, and pull a heavier load. After driving a coyote pickup, I can honestly say that there is a lot to like about it. And the power potential from just five liters is unreal. I just don't know if it is practical from a money stand point once you factor in all of the other costs involved in the swap, a harness, fabrication time, and cost of ownership. It is quite a bit more complex, meaning quite a bit more expensive to repair if something does break. Let's see, four cams, active cam timing, servo motors to actuate cam timing, sensors, plastic intake (first thing would be an aluminum aftermarket. Another cost which is NOT cheap) which on my brother's 4.6 had to be replaced twice in seven yrs., etc.

Mason brought up a great point that brought about a few hours worth of research just to satisfy my own curiosity. I think if you consider everything, the added mpg from the coyote will only make you feel better at the pump when you fill up, but not much more.

June 30, 2018 12:30 pm  #14

Did anyone come up with the answer about the "motor mounts"?
     you could by the convert plate and install a Ford AOD or  or AODE  which requires 
an after market computer.. 
   Any up date on this idea\build

July 12, 2018 5:14 pm  #15

Well guys, full steam ahead. Engine and tranny is in and only required minor modifications.  Working on hoses now.  Here is a link to the build so far.
https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=376129Journal

July 13, 2018 9:06 am  #16

Glad the swap worked out with little fab/mock up. Will be interested in how it runs compared to the built 390. Let me know. The valve seals are starting to go in my old 289, so I am debating what to do. It's the original drivetrain so whatever my choice, none of it is going far. 

August 20, 2018 4:27 pm  #17

Well we are getting close. go to #61squire on Instagram and you can see the build thus far.  bought a 2014 Coyote and 6r80 tranny.  Needed the ECM to be programed and a new tranny harness because of the shifter I am using. But so far so good.

Board footera