Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2017 6:27 pm  #1

1961 Galaxie lower control arm bushings part numbers

hi all, for my first post, I'd like to ask a question. I am rebuilding the front suspension of my 61 Club Victoria. I picked up lower bushings from the local  parts house and have a bit of a problem. The bushings fit in the hole, but they don't fit in the car. With the bushing seated, they protrude about an extra 1/4 to half inch per side. I can't find a way to compress the bushings to slide the arm up into place. MOOG part number supplied was K8068. 

Ideas?

thanks

Bill

November 2, 2017 2:57 am  #2

Re: 1961 Galaxie lower control arm bushings part numbers

I would say grease and force. Over time the old bushings not only get brittle and crack but also shrink.

Regardless of car make, every set of front end bushings has been tight. I think 1/2" is a bit much though.

I checked a couple of sites and the MOOG part number being listed is k321 which is a kit that may or may not contain the part number you list. It also appears that image set you have a long set and a short set. Since I am not familiar with your particular year I can only speculate. 90-3328-1 is the part number listed on Dearborn classics site. I am not seeing anything on any site listed for your car, but listed for full size Ford, so this may be the problem.

I hope the part numbers help. Have you tried contacting MOOG or PST? PST sells front end rebuild kits for just about everything and have always been helpful when I have contacted them.here's a part number on PST website:BU12182 which is actually listed for your car.

Last edited by guitar74 (November 2, 2017 3:28 am)

November 2, 2017 5:44 am  #3

from the MOOG site, K321 fits predominantly mid-50's Fords upper arms 

November 2, 2017 1:30 pm  #4

I replaced bushings on my 61 recently. The bushings were part of a complete front end rebuild kit so I can't supply you with a part number of the specific bushings. I recall the bushings having shoulders so you press them into the lower control arm as far as they will go and that should be it.
For starters, I would compare the length of the old bushing with new to see if you purchased the correct pieces.
Or, I would measure the length of the busing you purchased and then measure the front frame mounts to check clearance and as well do the same for the rear bushing mounting bolt that extends from the front crossmember.
I would suspect that you might have purchased bushings that can be used for more than one application and as a result, you may need to trim the ends of the inner shaft of the bushings enough to slide into position...just a guess? Before doing this however, confirm the correct part and also make sure you can slide the mounting bolts thru the inner shaft of the bushing that they fit correctly.

November 2, 2017 2:27 pm  #5

If I don't seat the bushing, then everything will bolt up fine.  Its when I seat the bushing that it becomes a problem. I tried not seating the bushing then using nut pressure to pull it in the remainder (to seat the bushing) but that doesn't work. 

November 3, 2017 8:10 pm  #6

Ok. So the bushings dont seat completely and everything fits back together. The bushings are then supported on both sides when bolted in place so they can't move out of position. I can't see why you would have any issues then? Sorry if I'm missing something.

November 3, 2017 9:36 pm  #7

there are 'shoulders' on the bushings. If I'm not seated, then I am not on the correct shoulder and the bushing is almost loose in the arm hole. Especially the forward bush. 

November 6, 2017 6:10 pm  #8

Rmvr53 wrote:

from the MOOG site, K321 fits predominantly mid-50's Fords upper arms 

Like I said, those kits were listed for multiple "full-sized" Fords, not specifically for your car. That is why I gave you the PST link with a part number listed for your car. The fact that it isn't working/fitting is leading me to believe that the parts you are using are suspect, or as Dan suggested, for multiple years, just like every kit/part number I chased down with the one exception of PST. Are the ones you are using wrong? Since I am not there, I can only speculate. What I would speculate is that if there is THAT much of a fitment issue, then I would probably try and find another set. The shoulder should be pressed in. You could as Dan suggest trim the other side.

Bottom line: If it doesn't fit like it should, or at least as good as the part that came out, then it wouldn't go on. Itvshould be a smidgen tighter than the worn bushing. By a smidgen tighter, I mean an interference fit. Or if they are very worn, cracked and falling apart  quite a bit-a LOT tighter, but 1/2" is not in the same zip code. The control arm with the new bushing installed should need a little persuasion as new suspension components SHOULD fit tight but should not relocate that much.

November 6, 2017 8:29 pm  #9

its amazing how much "fit" you can get out of a 3ft pry bar. Compressed about 1/4 inch of bushing both sides and it slipped right in. Ok, slipped might be an understatement but you get the idea....

thanks all for suggestions

Bill

November 9, 2017 6:16 pm  #10

No problem, Bill. Glad it came together for you.

Board footera