Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2017 11:57 am  #1

1969 Galaxie 500 Convertible brake questions

My Uncle's 69 Galaxie has almost zero brakes. Spongy pedal. Have bled the correct sequence over 10 times. Also used two different vacuum bleeders. Don't see air coming out of the lines when bleeding. 2 new master cylinders have the same result. Opening the rear wheel cylinder bleeder fittings gives a fair flow out of the passenger side rear but hardly anything out of the driver side rear. Looks like the problem is probably in that wheel system. Looking at other Galaxie pics I am seeing something on this car I don't see on any other. Directly under the master cylinder is a hydraulic line junction block that the two lines from the master cylinder go into. Four lines then come out going to each wheel. None of the Galaxie pics I have found have shown this configuration. Went to several junk yards this morning and all the  68, 69, and 70 Fords had a different block below and beside the master cylinder and none had 6 lines. Anyone ever see this before? Hoefully this picture link works...http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=nps0nk&s=9

Last edited by Stockdale Dave (October 14, 2017 11:59 am)

October 15, 2017 4:26 pm  #2

Re: 1969 Galaxie 500 Convertible brake questions

That distribution block appears to have been there a long time, so that wouldn't seem to be the problem. There is typically only one brake line to the rear with  a tee on the rear axle after the flex hose from the chassis line to distribute the fluid to the rear brakes. Where do all the lines go on this car? Have you replaced any of the rubber hoses? Do the steel lines look good with no leaks? Are the rear wheel cylinders and front calipers in good shape. Wheel cylinders are cheap, so it maybe good to change them out and give the drum brakes a rebuild.

October 16, 2017 5:39 am  #3

"hardly anything out of the driver side rear."
I would check the Flex Hose, I have seen these come apart inside and act as a one way valve.  

October 16, 2017 5:19 pm  #4

All rubber hoses had been replaced with new. Previous owner "redid" the drum brakes on the rear. Pulling the drums showed a couple of missing springs so we'll redo it correctly. What bugs me is the distribution block. I can't find another example like that one. I think we are going to just order all new lines, proportioning valve, and all hardware not already replaced. Never have seen a brake system this difficult to bleed.

Thanks guys for all your input. I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions as we go through the big yellow beast.

November 1, 2017 3:26 am  #5

If the distribution block is suspect, you can take the line loose at the wheel and check for fluid making it to that wheel.

Also, did the hardware/shoes on that wheel appear wet? If so then you have a bad wheel cyl. I would still check the rubber line as I have actually gotten a new hose that was bad. It's rare, but it happens.

Once you started mentioning missing springs on a drum, then EVERYTHING is suspect. It sounds like someone didn't do a proper brake job to begin with. I would check everything.

If it were my car, and I found that at one wheel, I would take the drum off every wheel and at least give everything a good inspection.

A blocked steel line or hose would generally result in a hard pedal from pressure being built at the blockage. Leaks result in a soft pedal. I would look for fluid in odd places under the car. If the springs for the top of the shoes aren't in place, then there is no pressure against the wheel cylinder pistons which would make them impossible to bleed as the pistons would keep pushing out towards the shoes, but wouldn't have any kind of pressure to push back against them. If they aren't on the bottom of the shoe then your adjuster would either fall out or adjust out a LOT.

I would start at that particular wheel and check for leaks, rebuild it right, and see what you get. I would check every other wheel, or rebuild them properly as well to make sure EVERYTHING is done right.

Looking back at your post, I would trace the line for that wheel and also check to see if it is pushing fluid out of the block on that port. It is also possible that the lines aren't installed with the right ports feeding the right line and your sequence is wrong as fronts should get fluid first, then rear. Possible that you have a rear line being fed by a port that should be feeding front port.

You have already verified that nothing or very little is coming out of bleeder screw, so work your way back to the block.

70XL is right about the hard lines coming OUT of the distribution block. There should be one line coming out for the rear and it should T out to two lines. Let's see: missing springs, a non standard distribution block, spongy pedal, more lines (although it's not a comlete deal breaker if they are ran properly. Also, they need to be the same length for everything to sequence right. I think you are probably seeing the issues). As much as I HATE either bending new hard lines or installing pre bent lines, I think it's time to get it like it left the factory, and work from there. I have been bitten by someone else's creative engineering more than once.

Last edited by guitar74 (November 1, 2017 4:28 am)

Board footera