Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2017 6:00 pm  #1

Ford 4100 carb problems

A friend rebuilt a Ford 4-barrel for my 59 Galaxie 352.   He lives 185 miles away.  All for throats dripped until
I tapped on the gas inlet.  The secondaries stopped dripping for a short while.  Now they drip all the time.
It has a vacuum leak whistle on idle too.  If I cup my hand over the secondaries, it dies. Perhaps that's normal?
I have a  fancy car show on Milwaukee's lake front a week from tomorrow.  Should I order a factory rebuilt carb
or should I tinker with this one. 

July 29, 2017 6:06 pm  #2

Re: Ford 4100 carb problems

Dying when you cover the secondaries is not normal. Nor is the dripping you described. Car should not be running on the secondaries at idle. You mentioned the whistle. Have you tried spraying car cleaner at various spots to see if it causes the idle to drop? Also, the 4100 is vacuum secondary so if you have a vacuum leak say at the secondary diaphragm, then they could be opening early which might explain a the whole idling on the secondary circuit. I would be willing to bet that your car is idling on the secondary circuit.  You might also look at your power valve. That might be the drop-down issue. It sounds likelier than one thing going on from the comfort of my armchair.

If you aren't too worried about originality, Summit racing sells their own brand which is based on a Holley rip off of the old 4100. A lot of similarities including the on piece top, and no gaskets below the fuel line. The big difference is the electric choke, dual feed, and clear sight glasses for float adjustment. I use one on my 289 Cougar and it is a very nice piece.

I hope this helps more than it confuses.

July 29, 2017 7:05 pm  #3

Re: Ford 4100 carb problems

Thank you for your prompt reply.   I left my email address with Rock Auto.  They are out of stock.  Other 4100s
are very expensive.  My Bumper to Bumper wants well over $300.  Advance has no listing.  4100s on
line are also well over $300.  I'm  not touching it until Wed. or so to swap it back for the sweet Holley.
The stock carb. has steel lines running to it.  The Holley has rubber tubing.    Ya see,  I intend on meeting Mr.
Carini and showing off our beautiful 59 Galaxie soft top.  The blue parts on the engine were powder coated
in the correct shade of light blue.  Snazzy?  (I forgot his first name.)

Board footera