Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2017 2:52 pm  #1

'63 Galaxie "Box-Top" newbie

Hello Guys and Gals,
My name is Larry, AKA The Batman, born and raised in Asheville N.C. I am already thinking that I am the only Ford person on this side of the mtn...lol
I have a 63 Ford 300 AKA Galaxie 2dr "Box Top"/"Square Top"; these were only made the one year as many of you probably know already.
She does have a transplant engine, period correct though. She has a 429, C6, 9".
We got this last season, it was a pure blessing the way it all happened when I took ownership. We took her to a show right off.
I need/want to do a few things to her of course but need guidance. 1st; my linkage must be wrong. Low gear on the column is actually L2, not L1. Surely the fordmatic linkage wasn't used in place of the C6 linkage???? Is that even feasible to do? Anybody know an easy fix?
Anybody here mess with carbs? Unfortunately mine has a 2brl, luckily the 2nd BIGGEST 2brl tho but the kick down is suppose to be linked to carb?? Any input there is appreciated.
I tried uploading pics but I'm doing something wrong. I did get one up but IDK what I done. Input? (should i just go thru photo-bucket instead of this service?)
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from everyone soon. Thanks in advance.

July 26, 2017 4:06 pm  #2

Re: '63 Galaxie "Box-Top" newbie

I believe your picture problem is related to a minimum post requirement. I think you will get picture posting privileges after three posts. Your shift pattern issue may be related to the original Cruise-O-Matic MX, or FX Green Dot shift pattern and how that was adapted to the later shift pattern on the C6. You may have to check and modify the shifter linkage to get the trans linkage to move to the right detent to select the desired gear.  The 429 would not be period correct for a 63 as it would be from 69, or later, but you can build up the 385 Series engine easier and cheaper than the FE engines that originally could have come in those cars. The kick down rod is supposed to connect to the throttle on the carb.

July 26, 2017 4:59 pm  #3

The 429 would not be period correct for a 63 as it would be from 69,

Well, the reason I say period correct is that the car is a SIXTY 3 and the engine is a SIXTY 9; the 60's period.
Yeah, I need to get her in the air to check linkage but it has to be wrong somewhere since I cant hit L1 manually. Its a P.I.T.A w/o a lift....Lol
Yeah, I hope to run across a few cheap parts. IE; intake, carb, headers, a oem clock rebuilder

July 26, 2017 5:29 pm  #4

Your shift pattern issue may be related to the original Cruise-O-Matic MX, or FX Green Dot shift pattern and how that was adapted to the later shift pattern on the C6.

to my knowledge this had the fordmatic, not the green dot trans. Just a 2 speed, now the c6 is a 3 speed

July 26, 2017 6:43 pm  #5

The Batman wrote:

Your shift pattern issue may be related to the original Cruise-O-Matic MX, or FX Green Dot shift pattern and how that was adapted to the later shift pattern on the C6.

to my knowledge this had the Fordomatic, not the green dot trans. Just a 2 speed, now the c6 is a 3 speed

FWIW, if you have the original door tag and its "VIN" matches that on the body under the hood above the heater hoses, this site can tell you the transmission (and other configuration elements) on the car when it left the factory.
http://www.so-calgalaxies.com/1963
Also, C6 3 speed may or may not the of the Dual Range aka "green dot" variety depending on the valve body.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

July 29, 2017 6:14 pm  #6

My '65 has the rod like my wife's '79 tbird with a 351m and c6. Does the '63 use this setup, or dies it use the under the car cable that goes from a down turned throttle arm like my Cougar. Not trying to hijack the thread,but learn a feature things about these early '60s cars.

July 30, 2017 11:39 am  #7

My '65 has the rod like my wife's '79 tbird with a 351m and c6. Does the '63 use this setup, or dies it use the under the car cable that goes from a down turned throttle arm like my Cougar. Not trying to hijack the thread,but learn a feature things about these early '60s cars.

Well, I'm trying to learn a few things myself. I'm not sure if it is OEM or not but mine has a arm coming from carb down-turned behind engine going down towards trans, another arm linked going into transmission.

July 31, 2017 3:47 pm  #8

The Batman wrote:

Well, I'm trying to learn a few things myself. I'm not sure if it is OEM or not but mine has a arm coming from carb down-turned behind engine going down towards trans, another arm linked going into transmission.

That was the OEM way and the way it is on my car, and it appears to be the way it was on car that donated it's engine and trans to your car. In this pic you can see the kick down rod before the throttle linkage was connected.

August 3, 2017 7:19 am  #9

Hey man, I do apologize for the delay in my response. Thank you so much for the pic.
Yeah, That is the same rod I have, it appears from the pic.

appears to be the way it was on car that donated it's engine and trans to your car.
My engine/trans came from a 69 t-bird.

Oh yeah, My speedo jumps crazy. Thankfully it did calm down a hair with the new back wheels but still jumps.
I had assumed that the gear was broken or missing a tooth. I removed the speedo gear to inspect. It is a new 18t gray gear. Does anyone know if that is OEM or been swapped on a C6??
I wondered if I could swap out  for a 16 or 17t and it help correct the speedo? I had also removed and reinstalled the cable itself from the cluster. The misses hates the jumping needle and I need to fix that...Lol

August 3, 2017 1:43 pm  #10

The Batman wrote:

Hey man, I do apologize for the delay in my response. Thank you so much for the pic.
Yeah, That is the same rod I have, it appears from the pic.

appears to be the way it was on car that donated it's engine and trans to your car.
My engine/trans came from a 69 t-bird.

Oh yeah, My speedo jumps crazy. Thankfully it did calm down a hair with the new back wheels but still jumps.
I had assumed that the gear was broken or missing a tooth. I removed the speedo gear to inspect. It is a new 18t gray gear. Does anyone know if that is OEM or been swapped on a C6??
I wondered if I could swap out  for a 16 or 17t and it help correct the speedo? I had also removed and reinstalled the cable itself from the cluster. The misses hates the jumping needle and I need to fix that...Lol

The teeth on the speedo gear should be matched to the rear gear ratio and overall tire size to give the correct speed indication. There are a number of different tooth counts for every trans to accommodate different gear ratios. I would suspect the speedo jumping to be from the cable and/or speedo head, not from the speedo gear on the trans tailshaft.

Board footera