Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 19, 2017 8:16 am  #1

Hood Hinges for 1962 Galaxie 500 xl

Where can I find new Hinges for 1962 Ford Galaxie 500 Hood

July 23, 2017 4:17 pm  #2

Re: Hood Hinges for 1962 Galaxie 500 xl

Didn't find new, but found a couple of sets on eBay that were like new for around $250

July 24, 2017 3:25 pm  #3

It may be necessary to research restoring the hinges yourself. I seem to recall seeing some stuff on restoring parts  like these, but I couldn't post a link(s) for you. I might start with giving them a good soak in rust dissolver and try to get them moving freely. I don't know how tough it is to remove the springs, but that would be the first thing to do once the hinges are out of the car. Once the pivots are moving freely, clean and prep the metal for the finish of your choice.

August 6, 2017 9:16 pm  #4

Can I ask what the reason is for replacing the hinges?

The reason I ask is that on my 62 Ford wagon,  I had left the hood up for a long time, 
when I went to close it, the passenger side would not lay flat.. 
   I removed the hinge and straighten it, made sure it was not binding... but that did not fix my problem..
Thinking maybe the spring was the problem, I took a pair from a 75 Thunderbird, the length was correct
but the diameter is 50% larger..
  Have not solved this problem yet..
Best

Board footera