Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2017 6:14 pm  #1

Torque on Brake Parts

Good evening,

I did my first brake and wheel bearing job on my 1967 Galaxie on the front and rear axle.

Before I get back on the road, I would like to confirm the following:

Rear Axle:

1) Per Shop Manual: "Brake Backing Plate and Bearing Retainer to Axle" = 50 - 70 ft lbs --> Does this refer to the 1/2" 20 nuts and bolts that fix the backing plate and retainer plate to the axle?
2) Per Shop Manual: "Brake Cylinder to Brake Backing Plate Bolt" = 20 - 50 in lbs --> Does this refer to the two 5/16" 18 hex bolts that fix the brake cylinder to the backing plate? And is it really in lbs?
3) per Shop Manual: "Brake Line Connection to Axle Housing Bolt" = 12 - 18 in lbs --> Where does this refer to?

Front Axle:

1) Per Shop Manual: "Backing Plate and Cylinder Assembly to Spindle" = 80 - 106 ft lbs --> Does this refer to the >1" large hex nut on the top center that fixes the backing plate and wheel cylinder to the spindle?
2) Per Shop Manual: "Backing Plate to Spindle Nut" = 25 - 45 ft lbs --> Does this refer to the 2 hex bolts and nuts that fix the backing plate on the spindle?

If the above for the front axle is corrent, I have it currently inverted.

Thanks for your help.
Philip

July 17, 2017 1:52 pm  #2

Re: Torque on Brake Parts

I think the in/lb specs are inch pounds, not foot pounds. No. 1 sounds like the ones to me. No. 3 will probably somewhere near the centre of the car where the flex line connects the chassis line to the axle line. There will a T block that will bolt to the axle housing. The actual torque spec on a lot of these small fasteners is not highly critical, you just don't want to over tighten them and strip the head, or threads.

I don;t know why you would question the the front end specs from the shop manual, why not follow what it says? If you have the torque specs and the tools to use them, then I would use them. Much of the time you can use the standard German torque spec, "Good-N-Tight', being careful not to over tighten small fasteners. Lock-tite can be a good thing to have on brake fasteners, too.

Board footera