Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2017 4:27 am  #1

'65 Fuel Tank

So At the car show last month I noticed a drip...drip..drip... from the fuel tank. After many many fruitless searches arrived at there not being a repro tank for a '65. Got a '66 tank and made straps with 1/8"x1"x6' steel that I found and Ace Hardware. So for any of you looking for a new tank for a '65 read this public service announcement: THE GAS TANK RIDE FOR THE 1965 GALAXIE IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED. MOVE TO THE '66.

You'll gain a little range in the switch, but be aware that the '66 tank hangs about 3" lower will post photos.

July 13, 2017 7:08 am  #2

Re: '65 Fuel Tank

So here's the finished product pics. A couple of notes worth mentioning is that you will have to make a grommet for you filler pipe to the tank, or find a size with the correct i.d and o.d. The tank hangs lower and requires that you find longer straps, or make a set like I did. Cost of the straps was around $12 buying the stock at the local Ace Hardware. Yess the tak hangs lower and the angle of the pic makes it look a little worse that it actually is. That being said, make sure you have good springs/shocks as if you have a "bounder" when you hit bumps, you are gonna' run into some trouble with this tank. I am going to install a spring spacer to raise the chassis a touch to help out a little bit. My spring and shocks are new. I just don't want to leave my fuel tank on the road or chance doing that.

July 31, 2017 10:51 am  #3

I did this same mod on my '65 several years ago. Aside from the longer straps, I recall having to tweak the filler neck a bit too, but it worked out ok.  Standing behind the car you can see the tank, but it doesn't appear as an obvious change or something that someone would point a finger at. The dual exhaust pipe needed to be tweaked a bit too, but no issues- works good.

July 31, 2017 5:14 pm  #4

My pipes cleared the tank, but they were installed so close the the inner edge of the rear tires, that I couldn't fit my pinky between the tire and pipe. Next thing in the list, I guess. You're right about it not being too obvious. The old tank hung down far enough to be seen, so once I paint it black, I don't think it will be obvious at all.

I can see why there were so many of these on the road when I was a kid. My '65 rides better than my'07 Marquis when it was new. Crazy considering how old it is.

Last edited by guitar74 (July 31, 2017 5:17 pm)

Board footera