Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 27, 2017 4:14 pm  #1

Drastic measures on the 66

Having tried nearly every trick in the book, I resorted to surgery to get the frozen front brake drums off. Now at least I can move the Galaxie... And go through the hardware while waiting for new shoes, drums, and wheel cylinders.

April 29, 2017 6:15 am  #2

Re: Drastic measures on the 66

Big sledge hammer or did you have to cut them?

I'm not a fan of drum brake removal.  Never had good luck.  I'm not looking forward to doing brakes on my 64 with drums all around

Last edited by Maynard (April 29, 2017 6:15 am)

April 29, 2017 11:44 am  #3

A little heat and a dead blow have always been my drum brake friends. Sometimes though, it feels like an rpg wouldn't help. Been there, done that, and feel your pain.

April 30, 2017 6:03 pm  #4

Angle grinder and cutting discs. Still have to get the centers off the hubs but plenty of time for that. Still have the rears to free up. They're not as bad as the fronts.

May 17, 2017 6:04 pm  #5

Took the centers off the other day, once I developed a technique, it was easy. I have some cheap wood chisels and used one along with what I call a peeler chisel to work them loose. I wouldn't use quality tools to do this!

May 18, 2017 9:18 am  #6

Glad you got them off. I have had trouble with drums before, but never that bad. Of course that doesn't mean it won't happen in the future. 

May 18, 2017 1:07 pm  #7

Use a little anti-seize on reassembly.

May 18, 2017 6:05 pm  #8

Now that my new engine hoist is here, work in earnest can begin. I need to get the short block out and go over it. I'm going to get the rear brakes freed off as well, it's still a bear to move. I will reassemble the engine on the stand.

May 21, 2017 4:39 pm  #9

Pulled the short block today, the previous owner had installed rubber freeze plugs and one copper one. Lots of gunk in the cooling passages. Looks like old school sealing goop. Weather turned iffy so wrapped it all up.  Cylinder walls look great. Piston tops cleaned up nice, no burned spots, no worrying signs.

April 3, 2019 12:15 pm  #10

Bumping this thread because I got so frustrated with that car's issues I traded it off. Every repair created another problem. In reality, I screwed myself buying it without going to see it. Lesson well learned! Drastic measures indeed!

Board footera