Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 11, 2017 3:28 pm  #11

Re: Pinion yoke swap information needed.

I never thought about switching out the pinion support/case/cap/cover...good idea! Actually I didn't know that you could swap those between the different generation of cases.
Yes indeed the WAR case has a reputation of being prone to cracking under certain conditions. I was aware of that also, but don't plan on subjecting the case to heavy duty or severe use, I'm thinking I should be OK. Low and slow, that's my motto! If it does split, I will just spend the money and get the 3.89 ring an pinion gears installed in the OEM case.

Last edited by dan_6776 (May 11, 2017 3:31 pm)

May 11, 2017 4:25 pm  #12

what I don't remember is if there is shims under that cap.  if there are you should be able to take measurements and adjust accordingly.

May 11, 2017 4:39 pm  #13

yep there are shims under that cap

May 11, 2017 4:51 pm  #14

Dan I just sent you a PM

May 12, 2017 10:31 pm  #15

Ok, all is well!
The OEM pinion yoke fit on the donor pinion shaft. Although the donor pinion yoke was shorter than OEM, the splines and rear yoke flange were the same. By using the OEM pinion yoke, the driveshaft will be the correct length.
Last thing to do is put it all back together and go for my first drive since winter storage!
As always...thanks for the help.

May 13, 2017 7:12 pm  #16

Just when I got everything back together, I have an oil leak from the pinion seal...arrgghhh!
Leaking between the outside rim of seal and case! The seal didn't come with any type of sealant on the outside edge, so it's metal on metal.
Aside from doing over with new seal and sealant, any ideas on how to temporarily stop the dripping?

Last edited by dan_6776 (May 13, 2017 7:13 pm)

May 13, 2017 7:41 pm  #17

I never use a gasket between the pumpkin and housings. I use RTV

May 14, 2017 2:12 pm  #18

Just to clarify...the pumpkin is not what is leaking. Oil is seeping from the new pinion seal. It is seeping from between the metal outside edge of the seal and the housing it sits in. There was no type of sealant on the edge of the seal that you typically see with most seals. Anyway, trying some silicone for now.

May 15, 2017 9:15 am  #19

Oh I couldn't see that in the picture.  One trick for the future is to put a thin layer of silicone on the metal part of the seal prior to installing it.  It will serve as a lubricant and make the installation of the seal easier and it will help eliminate any chance of leaks.

Board footera