Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2017 12:15 pm  #11

Re: disc brakes on stock(ish) spindles

Will also check out your site. Thanks again.

April 29, 2017 3:12 pm  #12

Those specs work well even without the UCA drop. If you have any other suspension questions let me know as I am very familiar with the suspension on the Mustang and all similar cars like the cougar.

April 30, 2017 11:53 am  #13

Thanks again. Just checked out your tech articles on mustang suspension and learned quite a bit about what works and what doesn't. Got me thinking about installing a smaller anti roll bar up front (has the same 1 1/8 it has since I got the car).

I adjusted my toe in this morning and it tightened things up considerably. Made my own rig and got both sides to 1/8 toe in. Am going to look in to adjustable strut rods too. Also going to get rid of the control valve and install the borgeson setup to simplify things to more what my '65 Galaxie is.

May 10, 2017 8:59 am  #14

Plan C
I have changed gears again.  So I found someone willing to sell me a set of OEM spindles but they have not gotten them shipped yet. My plan to use the Cobra setup is still an option but again lots of money.  The Country Squire spindles I have are a better option than OEM galaxie spindles as they have a thicker bearing shaft.  I still like the setup I originally designed for them using the PBR calipers if only I had the "correct" rotor.

The other day I was taking the studded tires off of my wife's car (2015 Nissan Rogue) and while I had the tires off I was looking at the cars rotors. The Rogue has the same 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and is hub mounted.  A quick internet search got me the specs of those rotors and they were the correct thickness to work with my PBR Country Squire combo but the diameter was to small.  But it got me thinking could I find a rotor that would have the correct specs so I got back on line and started looking based on bolt pattern thickness and diameter and found exactly what I was looking for.  Its a hat type rotor that the OEM Galaxie hubs fit into, it is the same diameter as the country squire rotors AND it is the same thickness as the Mustang GT rotors (not using Mustang GT rotors because the hat is to small for OEM hubs) 

The only other issue was the holes in the rotor are .55" and the wheel studs are .5" that meant that the slop in the holes made it impossible to correctly center the rotor on the hub.  This was an easy fix.  I took some wheel studs that had a long shoulder  on them and chucked them up in the lathe so they could be turned dow to .55"  the rotor now centers perfectly on the hub and I have the brakes I am wanting.  

The only other change that needs to be made, is the rotor and hub combo puts the rotor breaking surface at a different depth than the country squire rotor so I will need to fabricate a spacer to go between the spindle mounting bracket and the caliper mounting bracket.

Board footera