Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 15, 2016 9:49 pm  #21

Re: ref. 59 Galaxie a.c. hoses

I learned something tonight.  I have been using the term fan pulley.  The correct term is water pump pulley.
MACs has one for $61 ?  I'l keep hunting.  There's no rush.  We already have 8" of snow.  Another 11"
is forecasted for this weekend. It's only mid December. My 59 Sunliner went into storage only 3 weeks ago for her long winter's nap.

Ebay has a black 59 Sunliner equipped with factory a.c.  Look under the hood and note where the a.c.
hoses pass through the firewall.  How many points would I lose if I cut the holes any where else?
Send me an email address to JRTLJT031648    AT   att.net  I'll send a bunch of pictures. You can post them for me.

Last edited by John R. Thomas (December 15, 2016 9:50 pm)

December 19, 2016 1:06 pm  #22

MORE  NEWS.....I'm learning more of what is not interchangeable.  Remember, the previous owner installed
a 352 from a 65 Ford. Starting in 65 the water pump was changed.  Therefore, I will need the 3 belt pulleys for a 65 water pump and crankshaft.  Both should be more common and less expensive.

December 19, 2016 2:21 pm  #23

John R. Thomas wrote:

How many points would I lose if I cut the holes any where else?
Send me an email address to JRTLJT031648    AT   att.net  I'll send a bunch of pictures. You can post them for me.

Just sent an email so you can send me the pix.

John R. Thomas wrote:

MORE  NEWS.....I'm learning more of what is not interchangeable.  Remember, the previous owner installed
a 352 from a 65 Ford. Starting in 65 the water pump was changed.  Therefore, I will need the 3 belt pulleys for a 65 water pump and crankshaft.  Both should be more common and less expensive.

As far as originality and "loosing points" that ship has sailed because you have a 65 engine in a 59 car and if the car didn't come with AC you are taking it further from original even if you do it "correctly".  Now I still respect your over all desire to keep the car as stock in appearance as possible, and I think you should run the lines where Ford would have.  Good news is the exact location of those hoses probably doesn't matter that much as long as they are in the approximate location.  Here is my thinking, the car does not have nock outs stamped in the firewall for these lines.  That means AC was probably only a dealer option and if thats the case every cars dealer install will all be a little different.  If its up to some dealer mechanic to install it they will drill the holes close to the intended location but each one will probably be a little different depending on the guy that installed it.  I guess what I am saying is drill the holes in the place that is in the general area where they would have originally passed through the firewall and make sure you keep in mind the ease of the install.  If it is close no one will be the wiser.

December 19, 2016 7:18 pm  #24

You open the hood of my 59 Sunliner, you could not have a clue the engine was from a 65.  I pulled the edelbrock
intake, the dented chrome  valve covers  and the Holly carb.  Parts from a 59 were installed.  The valve covers and
air cleaner are powder coated the correct shade of blue.   Now I'm back to the original question of properly
locating the A C hoses.  I hope the owner of an A C equipped 59 Galaxie replies.

December 20, 2016 9:48 am  #25

I am just curious as to why you are so concerned about "loosing points"? What points are you referring to? Is it your intention to have your car judged in a Concours type of car show? Truth be told, I ask only to understand your thoughts on this.

I would like to begin by saying that I appreciate your efforts in trying to make the car the way it was when it left the factory. It is obvious that it is important for you, to get every detail right. That's just the way you want it and that's just fine. Having said that, I think you are missing Daze's point!

When Daze stated, "that ship has sailed", it does describe the situation at hand. Although your car may look period correct, it is not an original piece. And so, if you were being assessed points for originality, you would loose points because of the engine. As a result, the value of the car also decreases. I agree that when most people look under the hood of that car, they wouldn't know that the engine was transplanted from a 1965 car. True! However, any purest out there looking for a true original 59, would know fairly quickly that your engine is not correct. Looking at the engine block casting numbers will identify an incorrect engine. There are a few other differences on a 65 block that make it different than a 59.

I hope you are able to hook up with another 59 owner to get the A/C line firewall hole sorted out. It would be interesting to talk to a couple of owners who have A/C to compare and see if all are the same? Best of luck with your search.

February 9, 2017 4:58 pm  #26

I have all the parts to include a paper templet for the hoses passing into the body above the left 
fresh air vent.  QUESTION:  Has anyone cut those two holes in the firewall at that location ?

March 28, 2017 7:11 pm  #27

I have 99% of the parts.  Since the left fender/ door needs to be re aligned, the body shop will use the templet
and cut the 2 holes in the fire wall while the fender is unbolted.  The last part to buy is the receiver / dryer. No rush.
In January, I bought a T&C radio on ebay for $60.  It's clean as a whistle inside and out.

Board footera