Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2017 10:58 am  #1

Replacing Break and Fuel Lines

All,

I am planning to replace my fuel and brake lines - from master to drum + from tank to carburator.

I would like to know if anyone has ever done with without taking the entire body of the frame.

Is it possible to just replace the lines on a hoist/jack stands or are they not accessible without taking the body off?

Thanks
Philip

March 19, 2017 1:19 pm  #2

Re: Replacing Break and Fuel Lines

The front brake lines will be the most difficult because they pass under the engine. Nothing requires body off work.

March 20, 2017 6:13 am  #3

You didn't mention what model/year car you're working on but this is the most opportune time to upgrade from the fruit jar master cylinder to the dual line version in case your car is running a single line setup. There's several perfectly good methods to go about this and it's a definite step in the right direction safety-wise. 

March 20, 2017 5:16 pm  #4

I did mangle up an expensive stainless steel "made for my car" fuel line trying to install it.  It still worked but unable to get it in place without lots of bending.  IMHO just buy some generic line (in sections) ...fuel and brake and bend to fit.  MUCH MUCH cheaper.

Last edited by g-man (March 20, 2017 5:17 pm)

March 20, 2017 6:03 pm  #5

I've never been able to figure out how the vendor sells and ships prebent lines with any hope of them fitting properly....... I worked for VW/Audi for over ten years and we never attempted it. All we had was rolls of tubing and bins of fittings.

March 21, 2017 4:40 am  #6

Anyone try replacing metal fuel line with Fuel Line Hose?  I replaced my trans cooler lines with hose and IMO it was easier and worked great.  

March 23, 2017 5:43 am  #7

JWSpeed wrote:

Anyone try replacing metal fuel line with Fuel Line Hose?  I replaced my trans cooler lines with hose and IMO it was easier and worked great.  

Are you talking about fuel pump to carb? or tank to fuel pump or both?? I think a small section of hose in front of the carb for the purpose of flexing it to fit and maybe to install an aftermarket in-line filter would be acceptable.  Also a short section at the tank for flex to attach to metal line.  But I think replacing large sections of metal fuel line with hose may not be a good idea. 

March 23, 2017 7:30 am  #8

g-man wrote:

JWSpeed wrote:

Are you talking about fuel pump to carb? or tank to fuel pump or both?? I think a small section of hose in front of the carb for the purpose of flexing it to fit and maybe to install an aftermarket in-line filter would be acceptable.  Also a short section at the tank for flex to attach to metal line.  But I think replacing large sections of metal fuel line with hose may not be a good idea. 

I was just thinking that new cars use nylon fuel lines/hose? Was just wondering if anyone has tried or done it.     

March 23, 2017 3:19 pm  #9

They do, but use a lot of retainer clips and usually have a much shorter run from the tank to the engine, since modern cars are much smaller and often place the fuel tank under the passenger compartment.  I would stick with steel lines on a full size car.

March 24, 2017 6:05 am  #10

I used high pressure rubber fuel injection hose on my 61 with a 4.6. Both supply and return lines and also used appropriate hose clamps for high pressure application. Has been a year now, no problems.
For brake lines, I measured what I needed and purchased steel brake line with ends on. After the bends made if the line was too long I just cut and flared the end to what I needed.

Last edited by dan_6776 (March 24, 2017 6:09 am)

Board footera