Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 17, 2017 7:27 am  #1

Unobtainium door latch springs and how to replace them

Having had absolutely no luck sourcing replacement latch springs for my '66, I spent the last few days brain storming and rummaging my parts stock at work (ISO tank facility) for ideas. I decided that, since nearly all new car latches use tension springs, I would figure out how to make two tension springs do the work of the two broken clock springs. One spring keeps the pawl catch lever raised against the pawls, and was simple to replace with a strong tension spring that looped over the lever and is captured in a hole in the bracket.The other spring works to pop the pawls open once the latch is unlocked; that one is not so simple. I will have to weld a tab onto the back side of the top pawl to act as a spring retention point. The other end of that spring will go to the same hole in the bracket as the other spring. I tried to drill and tap a hole in that pawl but it is apparently hardened steel, so welding a small tab or the like will be the solution. Once I get the driver's side done I will redo the passenger side to match.

March 17, 2017 2:26 pm  #2

Re: Unobtainium door latch springs and how to replace them

I was just on Ebay and entered 1966 Galaxie door latch. There was at least a half dozen listings for complete latch assemblies. Looks like latches from 66-68 are the same. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you are looking for...looks like those parts are available?

March 17, 2017 7:32 pm  #3

Available, but expensive, and possibly in no better condition than my existing ones. If they're NOS the springs are still fifty years old and just as likely to fail. I doubt that any are brand new, and if they are, where are the makers obtaining springs? The springs are the only real failure point and would be easier to market than entire latches.

March 18, 2017 10:25 am  #4

Raccoonman wrote:

Available, but expensive, and possibly in no better condition than my existing ones. If they're NOS the springs are still fifty years old and just as likely to fail. I doubt that any are brand new, and if they are, where are the makers obtaining springs? The springs are the only real failure point and would be easier to market than entire latches.

Check with Murf at www.under1981.com   He has a 65 and 66 on the lot and probably has the springs.  He's reasonable and will ship them to  you..   Normally when I contact him, it's later the evening when he gets back.  

Good Luck

Jim White
Kingston, TN.
www.k4apy.com

March 18, 2017 2:15 pm  #5

Already rebuilt the driver's side latch and gave the passenger side a going over. Issue with the passenger side is the outside push button, it's rusted stuck. It has enough motion to possibly adjust the pull rod but that would probably make it too sensitive. Gave the inside works a generous slathering of white grease while I was in there.

March 19, 2017 7:58 am  #6

Good day. I was reading your post about looking for door latches,etc, and I would suggest signing up for a membership to The Ford Galaxie Club Of America. As a club member you can post classified ads for free . I am from Saskatchewan ,Canada , and I have had good luck with submitting parts ads for my 68 Galaxie. Hope this helps, and it is a heck of a good club to join with a club magazine . Best of luck!

Ed , from Maple Creek , Saskatchewan

Board footera