Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 7, 2017 7:00 pm  #1

Interchanges!!!

Okay, gurus; I need some help with interchanges. Both doors need some help, I think simply replacing the latch springs would do, but where can I get them now? Also, need a new fuel tank and a radiator. I don't particularly care about ensuring the factory stuff underneath the exterior, so how many years of full size Fords can donate a fuel tank? . The basic design seems the same through 1978 if not further. The radiator will pose its own set of problems since the FE left the car line in or around 1969....

March 7, 2017 8:03 pm  #2

Re: Interchanges!!!

Hardly a guru but I want to add two cents.  As to interchange, a complete resource is the 65-72 interchange guide:  http://www.fordmanuals.com/estore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=349
I'm sure there are threads here about typical suppliers, some of which are OK and some of which, imho, sell repro junk and/or have lousy service.  I usually have better luck constantly scanning eBay; e.g, an experienced seller such as 'galaxieperformance'.  For full sized Fords, my favorite non-eBay supplier is Dennis Carpenter:  http://dennis-carpenter.com/gas-tank/p/C6AZ-9002-A/
Nice thing about their site is they tend to use at least the root part numbers so you can pseudo-validate you're close from the something like the interchange guide.  Besides the guide, there are a lot of web pages that explain the fundamentals of the Ford part numbering system.  I've also had some luck in buying NOS parts from here:
http://www.nospartsltd.com/ but I ALWAYS confirm availabily before placing an order.
IMHO, radiators are more about confiiguring the right size, approximate locations of the hose connections, tank placement, cross-flow vs downflow, mounting and shrouds.  Racing suppliers are worrth looking at such as Griffin (expensive) and Summit Racing which is a great supplier for many parts in general.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

March 7, 2017 8:46 pm  #3

I bought one like this off ebay ...no cap..I use the expansion tank.  Works well.  trans lines fit well.  don't bother buying an aftermarket stock looking expansion tank to radiator hose, the one with the wire in it, because it is TOO STIFF.  You may break the soldered seam on the bottom of the expansion tank by trying to flex that hose.  Better to just go to the auto parts store and pick out a longer smooth hose of the same diameter with a 90 degree bend and cut to fit.  The tank is a slightly shorter so may need to prop it up at the bottom a little so to center the fan on it.  I was able to drill holes in the top (has a square section to mount to) and mount the top shroud ie finger guard to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-CORE-Full-Aluminum-Radiator-For-60-63-Ford-Galaxie-500XL-1960-1963-1961-1962-/282376332784?hash=item41bef0e5f0:g:hLsAAOSwuxFYs7fh&vxp=mtr

March 11, 2017 3:21 pm  #4

How much Mustang hardware will fit on a Galaxie ? Looking at door latches, they seem very similar

March 11, 2017 9:15 pm  #5

what year is your car?

March 12, 2017 3:38 pm  #6

I thought I had said it was a 1966 Galaxie, must not have. I spent a couple of hours wandering the local pic and pull. I'm surprised at the comparative difference between the latch on the 66 and those on modern cars. The 66 version is like a bank vault lock in comparison. Modern car latches are much smaller and seem to incorporate a frightening amount of plastic!

March 13, 2017 10:28 am  #7

I do know knobs and some of the other little parts interchange.  got any pix of your door latch?  I have the mustang parts and can take measurements and such to compare.  

March 14, 2017 1:44 pm  #8

Hardtops and convertibles must be terrible on door latches, since they're not enclosed on the back. Sedans probably do better if the felts aren't destroyed. Both of the clock springs on the driver's latch are rusted up and broken. I haven't taken the passenger side out yet because it still works, more or less. It keeps the door shut, anyway. Replacement springs for these latches are pretty much unobtainable it seems. I've searched every car brand for possibilities to no avail.

Board footera