Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 5, 2017 5:16 pm  #1

Air Cond

The previous owner has wired my air cond compressor on my 63 Galaxie straight to the battery. He said he did this to show that the air did work good, and it does. It gets very cold and when the compressor is running it is very quite. The problem is the compressor won't kick off wired in this manner. I am thinking it needs a thermostatic switch. It is the hang down unit in lower center of dash. It appears to be factory or dealer installed. I believe Ford called it PolarAire. The compressor is a Ford unit and everthing just looks factory. Am I on the right path here in thinking it might need this switch? I know very little about air conditioning. I do know that the compressor has to cycle on and off, which it is not doing. Also, I think the thermostatic switch is located in the hang down unit, but I could easily be wrong. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Remember Fireball and Smokey

March 5, 2017 6:37 pm  #2

Re: Air Cond

You SHOULD have some sort of factory plug or a subharness for power. Not sure of the colors of the wires for you to trace back. That statement that the seller made as to why he went straight to the battery is suspect. There should either be a wire or plug AT the compressor for power so I would at the very least start in that area and look for a random disconnected wire.

When I get near a FSM, I'll get you some colors to look for to try and help you identify what you're looking for.

March 5, 2017 6:54 pm  #3

Google "1963 galaxie electric diagrams 1200dpi.zip" for a complete set of wiring diagrams.  There are two air conditioning diagrams, one called "polaire circuit.jpg" and another called 'selectaire circuit.jpg".  I never heard of the first name until now.

Also, there are 14 pages starting at Part 12-3 of the '62 factory service manual about air conditioning. FWIW, I suggested a source for this essential book in your thread of 2 March.
Good luck.

Last edited by pkevins (March 5, 2017 7:35 pm)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

March 5, 2017 8:44 pm  #4

I ordered the shop manual that Pkevins suggested and I hope it will arrive tomorrow. 

March 6, 2017 6:12 pm  #5

Shop manual came this morning. Per the manual the thermostatic switch is bad. The diagram shows a wire coming out of top of compressor and this wire  goes to the thermostatic switch and causes the compressor to cycle on and off as needed. The under dash unit has a temp control lever and a blower speed lever and it appears that the thermostatic switch is wired into the temp control. The previous owner has run this wire straight to battery and therefor the compressor runs all time. I have searched internet for one of these switches, but ever one I find refers to fan motor control. I need one that controls the air compressor not the fan. I would love some ideas as to where I could find possibility find this thermostatic switch Thanks, Mike

March 7, 2017 12:04 am  #6

Long shot (no experience - heck I took the A/C out of my Mustang and have never missed it in my Galaxie).  Anyway, maybe they have the part(s) you need.
https://originalair.com/restoration-ford-compressors
(their https certificate(s) is/are expired so you'll likely get a browser warning; I only browsed a few pages and so far no problems on my PC)...
1-877-544-9023
Classic Auto Air

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior

March 13, 2017 9:41 am  #7

Called Original Auto Air in Tampa, Fla and spoke with Curtis. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Discovered that the thermostat is the actual switch that mounts in the under dash unit and turns  left or right to regulate temp. Switch was $45.00 and is on order. Curtis even told me that when switch arrives for me to call him back and he will walk me throught the install. Will let ya'll know when I get it installed and working. 

March 13, 2017 10:03 am  #8

Cool (so to speak) and great to know they're helpful.

Kevin

Board footera