Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 25, 2016 12:00 pm  #11

Re: new member with a 64 Galaxie 500

Thanks
Bad news here. The gas is very bad smells like varnish and cloudy.
I also checked the fuel pump by disconnecting both inlet and outlet, drew from a portable tank of good gas, no outflow from the pump after cranking the engine.
Is this definitely a bad Holley pump or am I missing something?
Nobody makes a high output mechanical pump for the 351 C anymore, neither Holley nor Edelbrock. Any ideas would be appreciated.
I don't want to use an electric pump if possible.

I am also pulling the gas tank. I can't find anyone in the area to clean it though.
Can this be a diy, or should I spring for a new one?

May 25, 2016 6:33 pm  #12

Regarding the gas tank, I got mine cleaned out at a radiator shop. They charged me two hours of shop time. It was cheaper than getting a new one. Check your tank to make sure it doesn't have any rub or wear marks where it comes into contact with bottom of trunk pan. If you see some wear, probably better to get an new one, instead of possible holes developing down the road.
Just checked ebay for fuel pumps. You can get a high volume chrome fuel pump for $26.00. Listing info: The item add number was: 351717070170. Ford 302 351C Cleveland High Volume Mechanical Fuel Pump Chrome.

May 25, 2016 7:35 pm  #13

The gas in the tank was the color of cherry Coke smelled like terpentine.
I pulled the tank and found a radiator shop to clean it.
The Holley mechanical fuel pump does not seem to work either. I hooked it to a can of gas and it pumped nothing. Problem is both Holley and Edelbrock quit making 351C pumps. I don't want an electric.
Does anyone know if they make a rebuild kit for these pumps or have any other ideas?
Thanks

May 26, 2016 5:57 pm  #14

I got a lot done
The tank had 3 gallons of varnish gas in it, so I pulled it and found a place that will clean it
I hooked the car to a  gas can and it ran GREAT

So the Holley mech. Pump is working, but it is leaking either at the outlet or around the round body edge.
Has anyone experienced this and is it fixable?
Thanks

May 27, 2016 2:58 pm  #15

462HO wrote:

I got a lot done
The tank had 3 gallons of varnish gas in it, so I pulled it and found a place that will clean it
I hooked the car to a gas can and it ran GREAT

So the Holley mech. Pump is working, but it is leaking either at the outlet or around the round body edge.
Has anyone experienced this and is it fixable?
Thanks

http://www.summitracing.com/int/search/brand/holley/part-type/fuel-pump-rebuild-kits

May 27, 2016 7:42 pm  #16

Holley told me the pump was not rebuildable. But, I am not sure that I have the one they think. Mine has npt threads for the in and out lines, and the bottom of the pump consists of two cylinders, each with an npt.
Does anyone know what pump this is and if it is in fact rebuildable?
Thanks

May 29, 2016 9:34 am  #17

If you read Dan's and 70XL's posts above, you'll find they have provided several options.

May 29, 2016 3:15 pm  #18

I know. Thanks all.
I ordered one of those chrome pumps. Hopefully, it is quality.
I was just trying to figure out if there was also a way to save that Holley pump.

July 13, 2016 8:37 pm  #19

I'm back to focusing on this car. It didn't end so well last time I was up there.

I got it running with a clean gas tank, new sender, fuel pump and carb accelerator diaphragm.
It seemed to run fine, not as strong as expected, though. It was kind of noisy, detonation, I think, although I really didn't get on it much at all in the 4 mile drive on very curvy roads. It idled fine and stayed cool at 180 degrees or so, even while sitting running while I filled up the tank.
I noticed the mechanical oil pressure gauge, which started at 60 lb cold, dropped into the 20 range even under acceleration, then went to 0!

I drove straight home, engine ran the same, no knocking or temp change. I did restart it briefly after 20 minutes and got 35-40 lb pressure.

I bought a new mechanical oil pressure gauge, installed it, old sender and line was clean, added a bottle of octane booster to tank and then had to leave. I did not try to run the engine again out of caution.

The only other issue I had was that the three times or so I shifted from 3ed to 4th gear with the toploader, I ended up back in second. Not sure if it was the linkage or me.

I'm heading back up in a few weeks. Not knowing what to expect. I will change the oil first thing, maybe cut the filter. I am hoping it is not a wore out bearinged motor. The seller, who is reputable in the area, had described the motor as a very well known strong motor in the area, and after I bought the car, inquired about whether I would consider trading the motor back for a running 390, as a friend of his wants the motor.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with this motor and the transmission are appreciated.

July 28, 2016 7:48 pm  #20

I am getting it sorted out. I figured out the detonation problem by putting octane booster in tank which pretty much knocked it out.
Turns out this circle track motor sat in the sellers shop for 20 yrs had state of the art parts and set up for back then, but likely has compression of maybe 11-12 to 1
I will change plugs tomorrow and do cranking pressure check to try to narrow it down.

Board footera