Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2015 7:01 pm  #1

I refuse to take a back seat to........

Ref. the back seat bottom cushion on my 59 Sunliner:  It was just laying in place when I bought the car.  My 1st project was to replace the seals on the top pump and clean up the tranny fluid that leaked out.
AND   I installed seat belts....1st time too.
PROBLEM:  The bottom seat cushion will not snap into place.  I am tempted to use a 3 ft.  2x4 and a large hammer
                     on the bottom seat frame on each side.
Will someone please advise.

October 7, 2015 3:00 pm  #2

Re: I refuse to take a back seat to........

I would pull the upper so you can see if there is a position that works.  I know with mine it fit but was hard to get into place.  Once I pulled the upper I was able to see it fit and determine where I needed to push to get it in place.

October 12, 2015 7:00 pm  #3

I loosened the 2 lower bolts of the back cushion.  It would not move.  I hunch that the seats were completely
rebuilt without the car.  The lower cushion will not push in far enough for the 2 hooks to slip over the edge of the  steel
panel under the seat.

October 12, 2015 7:21 pm  #4

Once you remove the lower bolts for the back cushion, slide it upwards and it will come off. There are two metal tabs on the back seat support that secures the top of the back cushion.

October 12, 2015 7:23 pm  #5

The back cushion would not move.

November 10, 2015 10:56 am  #6

For the 3rd time.......I removed the lower cushion and unbolted the back cushion.  I'd swear....the upper part
of the back cushion was stitched in place.  It is as high as it will go .  The lower cushion will not go back
any further to allow the pair of hooks to slip over the steel edge.

Board footera