Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2014 11:30 am  #1

coil spring dilema

Looking yet again for some advice on cutting coil springs. I wish I had more experience, I wouldn't have to keep asking so many questions. I switched out a 352 with a 4.6 engine. From the information I was able to find the 4.6 is about 150lbs lighter. I removed the stock steering and installed a rack and pinion. I am guessing another 75 or so pounds lighter. I removed half of a coil thinking I was going to see some type of drop. When I installed the new engine, the front springs hardly compressed and the front end seems to sit higher than before. I stood on the front of the frame 175 lbs and really no difference. If I jump up and down the suspension does travel. I have not installed the front fenders, hood, rad etc...I also intalled T-Bird spindles.
Here is my question: Am I wasting my time attempting to cut more coil to get the drop I want, or are those coil springs just too stiff for the lighter weight now on that front end. I am thinking there is just not enough weight to compress those springs. One would think that a coil spring from 61 would be old and soft enough that it would be easy to achieve a front end drop. By attempting to shorten the coil, did I actually make the spring stiffer and maybe those spindles raised the ride height a little?

November 23, 2014 6:56 pm  #2

Re: coil spring dilema

ANY TIME you shorten a coil spring you make if stiffer.  If I were in your shoes, I'd assemble the rest of the car, drive it for awhile. If I didn't like the ride or the height , whatever, then buy a new set of springs that will give you what you are looking w/o a bunch of frustrating experimentation.

Z.

'66 Galaxie 500

'65 HiPo Mustang

November 25, 2014 3:43 pm  #3

I agree that you probably cannot get a good indication until the car is finished and the complete weight is on the springs. I would not be afraid of cutting the springs, certainly you have nothing to lose at this point. Maybe shortening them could even be beneficial, because they are weak after all these years and stiffeneing them, by cutting them, may be helpful. Probably start with one coil cut, another half from where you're at, and go from there. The ultimate solution is to have custom springs fabbed, and they don't seem to be much money.

Last edited by 70XL (November 26, 2014 10:25 am)

November 25, 2014 4:11 pm  #4

Thanks for your thoughts fellas. I will take the advice. Once I get it back together I will deal with the springs then.

December 3, 2014 6:13 pm  #5

I was in the exact same boat as you with my 62.  When I ditched the 352 and auto trans for a 302 (all aluminum upper) and an aluminum bodied T5 I figurer I shaved off  at least 300 Lbs.  That made the front end stick up way to high and the ride was as stiff as a tank.  I looked around for replacement springs but all of the ones that would fit were as stiff or stiffer than what I had.  So I went with coil overs, yes they were a little over double what replacement coils and new shocks would have cost me BUT I got the ride I wanted, and the stance I wanted.  Here is a before and after pic.

here is a link to the full instal of the coil overs.
http://galaxieforum.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=210&p=1

December 4, 2014 9:16 am  #6

I did follow this post as you were installing that new system. The ability to make adjustments makes it a superior system, however my impression was that this may be a project for more advanced builders. In my case, I was hoping for an easier method, hence cutting the spring. Due to my lack of experience, I did not realize the effect of shaving off some weight and it's effect on the springs.  Once I get it back together and see how things look I will have to look at the options. I am hoping a custom spring will be the easiest solution?
Thanks for responding.

December 4, 2014 12:56 pm  #7

The way I did it was complicated and frankly overkill, because thats how I tend to do things.  The kit ill completely bolt up to a 61-64 Galaxie LCA with out issue, HOWEVER the strength of the shock mount on the the LCE is IMHO insufficient to cary the weight of the car.  When I did my conversion I made it, mostly a bolt in, with the exception of drilling a couple of holes and cutting of the threaded connectors on the LCA.  Any competent welding shop should be able to easily reinforce the LCA by simply welding in a couple pieces of steel.  This shouldn't cost much and would make the coilover option viable for anyone regardless of skill level.  I do agree with you the smart choice is to not mess with the suspension untell the rest of it is all back together.

December 5, 2014 6:06 pm  #8

OK, so you got me thinking more about the coil over system! I studied the pictures you posted and have a question. I was looking at pictures of the reinforcing ring you made where you used a ring from some old coil spring and then welded some flat plate. You then placed the ring in the pocket of the lower control arm and then bolted the coil over shock to that plate and lower control arm. As I recall, on my 61 there is a depression for the coil spring in the pocket of the LCA that accepts the coil and it does not come fully around 360 degrees. The depression that accepts the coil spring maybe goes 300-320 degrees, it is not a complete circle. Since the depression does not make a complete circle, a raised area remains, I just can't understand how you were able to make your reinforcing ring sit flat in the pocket? Are the 62 and 61 LCA are different?
I hope I am making sense with all of this. I included a picture of my LCA, if you can zoom in, you can see the coil depression and how in ends before coming fully around. That gap is the higher area I am referring to. I am having trouble understanding how your ring was able to sit in a flat plane to create a level surface to mount the shock. Thanks

Last edited by dan_6776 (December 5, 2014 9:55 pm)

December 5, 2014 10:22 pm  #9

61 and 62 are the same.  My ring is made from the top of a set of 61 Galaxie springs I had from a car I parted out.  Where I cut the coil off hangs below and slides into the pocket you mention on the LCA.  I had to cut the coil ring in half to get it to lay the way I wanted, then welded it all back together.  make sense??  

I think it would be easier to take some 1/4" X 1" bar stock and weld it directly to the LCA rather than doing it the way I did it.  The only reason I made it a "bolt in" was I wasn't sure if the coil overs would even work and I wanted to be able to easily go back to springs.  Now that I know the coil overs work, If I had it to do all over again, I would go the simpler route of welding in reinforcement.

December 6, 2014 7:14 pm  #10

Yes, that does make sense, thanks. Your suggested method of reinforcing the LCA would be much easier. This is one of the things I really enjoy about this form, that is benefitting from someone else's actual experience.
Now, I just need to figure out what kind of weight I am dealing with after all of changes I made for when I order the same kit!

Board footera