Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2014 7:49 am  #1

Need help with rear tailgate window - 1972 Country Sedan

I recently picked up Lucille, a 1972 Country Sedan with 30k miles. I am readying her for a German friend to road trip around the US in October.

The first and largest problem she has is that the rear window won't roll down. The previous owner said it was intermittent, but I have yet to get it to work. When you turn the key in the lock cylinder on the tailgate you can hear the microswitches click, but the window does nothing. The switch on the dash labeled "Accessory" does nothing as well.  I tried removing the panel from inside of the tailgate to access the motor, but there seems to be a row screws covered when the tailgate is closed.

Any help, ideas, suggestions is very much appreciated!

Last edited by CraigB (July 17, 2014 7:58 am)

July 20, 2014 6:59 pm  #2

Re: Need help with rear tailgate window - 1972 Country Sedan

Hello Craig
  First I don't have a 72 so my info might not be any good.
I have a 62  Country Sedan the rear window is electric and would not go down, makes
it bad
 I'll give two options one might work for you.
If you can remove the molding across the tailgate, I'm assuming the window is up
you can access the rollers from the outside just need to remove the clip the push
the lift arms away from the glass. if you get them out the window will go down.
  or from the inside you can remove the screws with a long screw driver, long enough
so your hand does not cause an angle...
  All the connections should be in the left panel, mine are, there is a swithc that disegages
the window if the tailgate is down.
 BTW if you do a  net search you might find the service manual online.
I found the one for my year, and its very helpfull
Best
Dave

August 1, 2014 1:45 pm  #3

Re: Need help with rear tailgate window - 1972 Country Sedan

Thanks for the info, Dave.

I'm at the point to start getting things working on this beauty, so I'll give that a try this week!

Board footera