Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 13, 2016 11:34 am  #1

1969 Galaxie-- need help finding the chrome weatherstrip betwn windows

Hey there folks,
Newbee here... I just purchased my (let me think...) 4th  Galaxie over the years and this one has me perplexed.... this is a two door, and there is a gap between the front door window and the rear quarter window, I know it needs some stuff there, but all the places I have found only sell the rubber not the metal piece.  Not sure how that came up missing, but hey... anybody know what those are called or where to find them... I have already checked with Mac's, Obsolete, and Dearbourn... any help would be greatly appreciated.

September 13, 2016 3:53 pm  #2

Re: 1969 Galaxie-- need help finding the chrome weatherstrip betwn windows

I don't think this one will be easy. In 69 the Quarter Window Seal was mounted on the door glass, in '70 it was mounted to the quarter glass. From the line on the door glass in your picture it looks like the metal base, or holder for the rubber seal has been removed from the glass. I've only seen the rubber seal portion for sale at any of the resto parts vendors, like the places you mentioned. You may have to find a complete new '69 door glass to get the quarter seal holder. What does the other side look like?

Last edited by 70XL (September 13, 2016 3:54 pm)

September 13, 2016 4:57 pm  #3

the other side is the same... I think this was a parts car for a few minutes... also missing is the rubber under on the quarter where by the window drops down and on the front of the door...(whatever you call that)  arrr... I have called some retro glass people too, and they only do glass and rubber... no chrome. I might have to fabricate something, but thats hard to do without having something to look at.

September 14, 2016 10:51 am  #4

You may be talking about the jamb seals. The one on the door should be part of the door seal that wraps under the door and up the front of the door. I would expect it to be moulded into the complete door weatherstripping. Steele Rubber Products may be helpful. http://www.steelerubber.com/search?year=1969&make=ford&model=ltd&style=2-door-formal-hardtop

Search Ebay for specific parts and see what comes up.

September 14, 2016 10:57 am  #5

Once again... rubber but NO metal...  nothing on ebay, now or up to 60 days back... will keep looking...

Last edited by bobby dee (September 14, 2016 10:58 am)

September 14, 2016 11:03 am  #6

Yes, I know that no weatherstripping supplier is at all likely to have the metal pieces you seek, but may have the jamb seals you mentioned. Your best bet will be to look for a parts car, or salvage glass with the metal pieces still adhered.

September 14, 2016 11:10 am  #7

I'm actually thinking about just freaking building something... Its only metal, right? That's pretty easy... just need to get my eyeballs on a real piece... then I'll get jamming.  I'll keep searching until then...

September 24, 2016 3:49 pm  #8

Found a 69 parts car for you. Located in Kindersley, Saskatchewan, Canada. This guy may have what you need?
Go to kijiji.ca and enter the following number in the search bar: 1175444580 should bring up the add. Good luck!

Board footera