Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2016 7:54 pm  #1

63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL shifter parts needed, auto in console

63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL, it was originally a XL w/390 w/COM tranny with console shift.  Running and driving when I bought it as a 406 3X2 clone with a 406/C6, but the shifter and linkage is a mess.  I can make a new linkage rod from the bottom of the console shifter lever to the tranny gear selector lever. 

I’m willing to buy a complete console shifter assembly or just parts, whatever I can get. 

What I'm missing is some shifter handle parts; I don’t even know what all I’m missing, just using my imagination or “reverse engineering” if you will.  I have the round chrome hollow shifter handle/tube, round black knob, with chrome spring-loaded push button in the top of the black knob.  I'm missing at least the inner rod that runs inside the shifter tube and has a “tab” on the side of it that locks into the detents of the shifter for P-R-N-D-2-1.  Right now I’m selecting gears just by using the detents inside the tranny.  Not good!  No Park lockout, no need to push button on top of shifter to get out of Park, no Park/neutral safety switch connected, etc.  I need everything to make the console shifter complete and safe!  So at least the small rod inside the shifter handle and anything else I’m missing.  Maybe missing a spring too?  I’m thinking the inner rod may have a spring on it to keep it engaged in the correct gear notch?  I have the spring on the bottom of the chrome button on top of the black knob.I had another 63 ½ Gal 45 years ago, but it was a manual tranny, column shift, so I’m winging it here.Pic’s, exploded diagrams, anything would be helpful. I’ve looked on ebay, but that’s all. Thanks,
Joe
918-857-7172 or jennlhenry@cox.net

Last edited by wideglidejoe (September 6, 2016 7:54 pm)

Board footera