Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2016 10:09 am  #1

rack and pinion for 1968 galaxie 500.

I have been on the look out for a rack and pinion set up for my 1968 Galaxie 500 convertible. I have done a complete air over shock conversion using the stock front end that I completely rebuilt. I am not set in stone on stock quite yet but after all that work I would like to try and keep it since I am not racing it. It is a cruiser is all. Flaming river stops at 1964. This car's only basic difference from the 1967 is the front sheet metal and dash. The major difference came in 1969 when they no longer used 2 different frames for 2 door and 4 door cars. 

August 26, 2016 12:52 pm  #2

Re: rack and pinion for 1968 galaxie 500.

I don't think any one makes a complete, drop-in kit. Flaming River makes a rear steer rack, which is good, but you need to fabricate the mounting, which is a normal part of custom car building, but not in all of ours skill sets. This conversion would likely be a complete custom install and would take some effort to deal with the geometry for bump steer and the like, but would be a nice thing to have. If you dive in, please keep us apprised.

August 26, 2016 2:32 pm  #3

Thank you 70XL Just a bit more fabrication needs to be performed. The rear suspension was completely measured and brackets made for the Air Over Shock setup. If I just went with airbags I could have kept the shock mounts and the spring mounts. Also the new Tremic T-65 6speed long duration manual transmission needs to be installed with the hydraulic clutch and Automatic taken out. I found a set of stock pedals online and installed. 4 wheel power disc brakes from hydraulic drum brakes. Still a bit of work to do but, getting there. 

August 29, 2016 12:56 pm  #4

This sounds like a great build. Make sure to post pictures of what you are doing, so we can all benefit from your experience. What are you doing for sway bars, especially at the rear?

August 30, 2016 4:50 am  #5

PMT fabrication makes adjustable rear control arms for the galaxie, WITH a specific made sway bar for their control arms. Spohn makes control arms also but I do not like the design. They adjust in the middle and I think makes it a weak point. PMT's customer service is outstanding. 

August 30, 2016 10:32 am  #6

The PMT stuff looks nice. I wonder if their sway bar is available separately and will work with the stock rear control arms. It looks like a pretty beefy piece.

August 30, 2016 10:42 am  #7

Spohn has a universal rear sway bar kit. PMT has a specific to theirs.

August 31, 2016 9:30 am  #8

I can't do a cut & paste here for some reason, but Unisteer has a unit for a '65-'67 Galaxie. Contact them, maybe they'd be able to help.

August 31, 2016 10:10 am  #9

Addco makes a rear bar, which I believe is the bar Dearborn and PST sells. I imagine that the PMT bar could be bolted to the stock trailing arms with brackets fabbed to suit, as long is it fits between the stock arms. It looks like a real nice piece. Anyone know the diameter of the PMT bar?

August 31, 2016 10:33 am  #10

I have the PMT rear control arm kit. I will measure it and let you know. It is beefy, but it is specific to their control arm kit. If you buy the kit it installs easily with stock hardware. However I did make an anti-adjust from plate steel for the upper control since the control arm is adjustable. And used new grade 8 hardware. 

Board footera