Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2016 8:31 am  #1

What to do with all of the parts?

As some of you may be aware, I just completed a 1961 Galaxie resto-mod conversion. As a result I have many of the original parts sitting in boxes. Many have been cleaned, painted and rebuilt. I was going to restore the car to original, so started cleaning up the parts. I went a different direction and now, really not sure what I should do with all of the stuff. My plan was to keep them and if I sell the car one day, I was going to include the parts in the event the new owner would want to restore back to original. I'm starting to think this may not be realistic and that I should try and make a few bucks with all of these parts? I have a complete drivetrain, all of the engine accessories including the a/c compressor, front power seat and rear seat, fender skirts, etc...
Once they are gone, they are gone for ever! So, restoring back to original would be very difficult...maybe I shouldn't be worried about that? Finally, I doubt that I would really get much more for those parts if I included them with the car, so I would be better off getting rid of them. Then there is the issue of listing, selling and shipping.
Looking for some advice on what to do here.

May 31, 2016 8:42 am  #2

Re: What to do with all of the parts?

You're not alone Dan. I've faced the same dilemma many times over the years with projects ranging from cars, trucks, motorcycles and even a few firearms which were 'accessorized' but I'd kept the original stocks and other parts to put them back to original if desired. 

From a buyer's standpoint, when I find a promising project that's been 'customized' I usually ask the seller whether they have the original parts. It may not be because I plan on restoring the entire car back to original, perhaps the previous owner has only done one or two mods that I'd prefer to put back the way they were. For instance (no offense to anyone here, just personal preference) I'm very disappointed when I read the description of a nice looking Ford only to find the original drivetrain has been replaced with yet another accursed Chevy small block with GM transmission. Another turn-off for me is when the original suspension has been heavily modified or removed entirely in lieu of an air bag system or even worse, a "low rider" hydraulic set up. In both instances it's a deal-breaker, unless all the original components come with the vehicle. If only the coil springs were cut to lower the car, new replacement springs are relatively cheap and usually needed anyway. But finding an original steering wheel or AC components can be a bit more challenging.

From a seller's perspective, having all the original parts can be a good selling point. Including them with the vehicle makes it more desirable to many buyers and therefore the car may sell more quickly at the price you're asking. On the other hand, selling the rarer original parts one-by-one on Ebay can bring a good profit, but it is time consuming and requires a significant amount of effort dealing with customers, payments, shipping, etc..

Another option is to hang on to all the parts until you decide to sell the car, thus offering prospective buyers a choice. Let the buyer decide what they want or don't want and negotiate the price accordingly. If you end up with parts left over after the car is gone, you can sell them then and make a few extra bucks.

There are pros and cons either way, it depends on whether you want to sell the car quickly with minimum hassle or you could use some extra cash and have the time and patience. I've gone both ways myself, but ultimately it's your decision.

Btw, what original engine/tranny do you have?

Last edited by Boogyman (May 31, 2016 8:59 am)

May 31, 2016 2:01 pm  #3

Boogyman,
Thanks for your thoughts. Gives me something to think about.
BTW, was 352, with Cruise a Matic

May 31, 2016 8:12 pm  #4

IMHO, unless you have tons of storage space and no need for extra $$ I would sell any parts you don't think you will need. Some cars are worth more as original, unfortunately Galaxies are not a car that has much extra value when original.  The other thing to consider is you will get more $$ for the parts as individual pieces than you will get for them as a package deal with the car.  If someone is looking for a car to make "original" they are probably after a project.  Your mods have moved your car into a restomod category and the car is probably worth more as it is than it would have been in its original configuration.  Besides if you do sell the car to someone who wants it "original" they could probably get most of the parts from a donor parts car or eBay.

June 1, 2016 8:38 am  #5

Makes sense.
One other factor I forgot to mention about selling parts is that being from Canada, a couple of problems arise regarding selling parts. Firstly, there really doesn't seem to be much of a demand for Galaxie parts here from what I have experienced. All of the parts I purchased were from our friendly neighbour to the south. So most likely, buyers would be in the U.S. The cost of shipping may prove to be prohibitive for the buyer. To offset that shipping cost, I would have to sell stuff fairly inexpensive. As a result, I can't see selling the parts a money maker.
Just to give you an example of costs, if I send a registered letter, just an envelope to the U.S. It would cost me around $16.00. When I shipped my ECU for reprogramming, that cost me almost $40.00. I can't imagine what a heavy part like a power steering pump or A/C compressor would cost. I haven't sold or shipped parts previously, so I may be out to lunch with all of this?

June 1, 2016 9:06 am  #6

Good point, Daze. Galaxies are simply not in the same ballpark as say, an all original '69 Shelby. But I have a feeling that as the usual slew of Corvettes, Mustangs, T-Birds and Cudas become more scarce and unaffordable, cars like the Galaxie, Impala and other classic 'cruisers' will gain in popularity and price. Time will tell.

Dan, I forgot you're in Canada. You're right, shipping across our border either way is cost prohibitive unless you sell them for much less than what they're worth.
Perhaps your local Craigslist or online equivilent would be worth a shot, just to see if there's any Galaxie owners within a reasonable distance?
If you have the storage space, you could just hang on to the parts in case you ever decide to sell your Galaxie, and see if any prospective buyers may be interested in some or all of them in a package deal. And you never know, you might find another early 60s Ford or Mercury that needs a drivetrain or other parts you have. Sure would come in handy, aye?

Last edited by Boogyman (June 1, 2016 10:41 am)

June 1, 2016 2:03 pm  #7

Didn't know you were a fellow Canuk. In the other thread, showing the finished car, I noticed a Brewhouse beer can and is that a Sasky plate on the truck in the garage? Go Riders!

June 1, 2016 8:47 pm  #8

Yup...living in Toon town. Good observation. I guess the beer can gave it away. You?

June 6, 2016 1:18 pm  #9

dan_6776 wrote:

Yup...living in Toon town. Good observation. I guess the beer can gave it away. You?

Hey, not too far, I'm in P.A.

June 6, 2016 8:43 pm  #10

So funny. Wow, just went thru P.A. Today. Fishing at Anglin.

Board footera