Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 17, 2016 6:30 am  #1

new member with a 64 Galaxie 500

Hi all. I am new to Fords. I am really looking forward to chatting with members.  I recently bought a 64 with a 70 351 Cleveland and 4 speed toploader. The car needs a lot of work, but runs very strong and has a solid body.
The car is at my vacation place, so I don't have access to it until I get back up there. Can't wait to start sorting it out.

The car has a full exhaust system with manifolds. I'm sure this is restricting things quite a bit and want to go with headers. However, there seems to be very little information on what will fit without spending a ton on custom headers.
Does anyone know of a header that could work with a minimum amount of hammer attitude adjustment to get to fit?
I will post pics as soon as I get two postings in, per the site rules.

Thanks!

May 17, 2016 8:43 am  #2

Re: new member with a 64 Galaxie 500

May 17, 2016 11:39 am  #3

pictures

May 17, 2016 12:04 pm  #4

looks like a fun project.  Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to getting to know you and helping you with your car.

May 18, 2016 7:14 am  #5

Looks like you have a nice solid car there. '64s are my next favorite Galaxie (after my '67 of course) with the '63-1/2 a close third.

You have plenty of room under the hood, and Summit Racing has a good selection of headers and other goodies for the 351 Cleveland:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/make/ford/engine-family/ford-cleveland/engine-size/5-8l-351/part-type/headers?SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending

The most common obstructions when fitting headers are the steering box and crossmember/motor mounts. Also you don't want the collector too close to the starter (heat is bad for it). I don't know which style headers would fit your '64 the best, but I bet someone on this forum has done this installation and can give you some pointers. Also you might try contacting Summit Racing's tech support.

May 18, 2016 9:13 am  #6

Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to the project and learning and sharing information with the members of this forum.
I haven't found much info at all on headers for this application on the internet so far. I will definitely call Summit.

May 18, 2016 10:32 am  #7

That is one nice machine! If that was my car, I wouldn't do a thing to the body, I'd leave it as is. I'd spend the cash on fresh wheels, and some go fast stuff! Just saying...
SLEEPER comes to mind when I look at that car.
Of course, you have your own vision so go for it.  Good find, best of luck with the build.

Last edited by dan_6776 (May 18, 2016 10:36 am)

May 18, 2016 10:57 am  #8

Thanks, Dan!
I thought it looked kind of bada$$ when I first saw it, kind of like a moonshiner's car, especially since it is in the north Georgia mountains. It runs like a scalded dog with this 351C dirt track motor in it. The only thing drivetrain-wise is it has a 3.25 open Ford 9 inch rear. I have tracked down a nodular posi rear housing with 4.10 or 4.11 gears, but they want $700 for it. I am not sure if that is reasonable. That's a little more gear than I was thinking of with the toploader , but if I ever put a 5 speed in it, that would be perfect.
It does need an interior replacement headliner, seat covers carpet, but other than that and wheels and tires, I may not do too much with the body for awhile.

May 24, 2016 7:37 pm  #9

I got up here to check it out.
Friends tried to start it last week. It started with gas poured in carb but then stopped.
One week later I am here and the inline filter is dry.
It sits low in front of Holley pump.
Should it not be dry?
Should I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank and see if gravity works or go straight to replacing or cleaning the tank?
They did put some gas in the tank.

May 25, 2016 6:50 am  #10

That's a difficult question to answer without being there to see it first hand, but I think the fuel filter would have to sit pretty darn  low and maintain a siphon for it to have any gas in it from 'gravity'. If it's like most tanks, the fuel is drawn up through the top of the tank before being pumped to the engine. So I don't think the filter would fill up on it's own.

My normal procedure for an engine that's been sitting for a long time is to first remove all the spark plugs, shoot a bunch of Liquid Wrench, WD-40 or diesel fuel into all the cylinders, let it soak at least a couple hours, then spin it over without the pugs in thus avoiding damage to the rings and cylinder walls. Then replace the plugs and proceed with starting. However since your car has already run when they poured gas in the carb, this step is irrelevant now.

At this point I'd just try putting some gas in the tank and try starting it while looking to see if gas is getting to the carb. Installing an additional see-thru filter between the pump and the tank would help if you suspect the tank is full of crap.

If you still aren't getting gas, it's possible there's a blockage or mice have chewed through the rubber fuel line coming from the top of the tank. You can check this by opening your fuel cap, put your ear to it, and have someone blow air back through the line. If you hear bubbles then the line is probably okay, so the fault could be in the fuel pump.
I'm just shooting from the hip here, hope it helps.

Board footera