Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2015 11:27 pm  #1

removing front springs on 65

The front ball joint will not come loose...any suggestions?

November 26, 2015 6:15 pm  #2

Re: removing front springs on 65

I have done those a few times. Sometimes they can be really stubborn. I have used a ball joint removal tool, a puller, a torch a big hammer and pneumatic air chisel. In the most extreme cases I have applied the ball joint removal tool, applied pressure to the ball joint, used a torch to heat up the end of the spindle arm and with a hammer hit the sides of the spindle arm around the ball joint. I have also used a pneumatic chisel on top of the ball joint. I have loosened the castle nut enough so that it sticks up above the ball joint threads. This creates a pocket for the air chisel so that the air chisel doesn't slip off. You are probably fighting against many years of rust and I think around 70lbs foot torque. Good luck

November 30, 2015 5:59 am  #3

Re: removing front springs on 65

Most will succumb to a 3 lb hammer applied to the knuckle where the stud is located. The lowers in my '59 took a beating before they broke loose. I worked the knuckle with an air chisel with a big flat punch. Beat it with a 3 and 6 lb hammer and finally it let go.

Board footera