Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2013 11:16 am  #1

Cutting front coil springs...need an answer

Hello all, I recently posted a picture of the bottom of a front coil spring under the thread, "Want to lower my 65 Galaxie Coupe..." check it out. My concern is that by cutting the coil spring, it will not have the same contact point in the lower control arm as the stock profile. Cutting the coil is easy. I have not attempted this before so not sure if I will end up with a spring that does not sit correctly or safely in the lower control arm. Someone with experience, please chime in...Thanks.

February 17, 2013 10:23 pm  #2

Re: Cutting front coil springs...need an answer

I cut the front springs on my '63 using a small angle grinder, and there were no problems.
The springs sit in the little recess in the control arm. No other modifications were done, and the car now sits at the perfect height that I wanted.

February 18, 2013 8:59 am  #3

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. I would think the 63 coil looks exactly the same? I am curious to know how much of your spring you removed and how much it lowered your car. I was thinking of removing an inch of free standing height(about 3/4's of a coil) and hope to get a 2 inch drop in ride height.

February 18, 2013 4:55 pm  #4

As a general rule, for every inch you cut at the spring, it's about double that at the wheel.

Here's what mine looks like with 3" lowering at the front and about 2 1/2" at the rear.

February 18, 2013 7:22 pm  #5

Wow, that car looks awesome! Nice ride. Thanks for the information.

February 18, 2013 8:20 pm  #6

Just remember that if you are measuring for height at the wheel, you need to make the spring measurement in it's compressed state with the weight of the car on it.
Then when the spring is removed, cut it.

Thanks for the compliments on mine. 

February 22, 2013 5:39 pm  #7

How much of the front coil did you end up removing? Any problems with tire rub when turning the front wheels? Did you use lowering blocks in the rear? Thanks

February 22, 2013 6:34 pm  #8

I sat the car on level ground and measured from the ground to the underside of the chassis.
I then decided how much I wanted the car lowered. I also removed all the wheels and lowered the car on trolley jacks to the height that I thought looked good and suited me.

I removed the rear leaf springs and took them into a suspension shop and got them to re-set them approx 2 1/2" to 3" lower. Once they were fitted back into the car, I could then see how much the front needed lowering to get it to look right. If I remember right, it was about 1 coil, but you'd have to do your checks.

There is absolutely no rubbing anywhere on my car. This is with 15" wheels, and 75 profile tyres.

Last edited by 63gal427 (February 22, 2013 6:35 pm)

February 22, 2013 9:29 pm  #9

Thanks for the speedy reply, i appreciate you sharing your experience.

February 28, 2013 6:08 pm  #10

I assume you guys are using the stock springs? Are you using new replacement springs or the old oringal ones that came on the car? Do you know if these springs are a linear rate or progessive? Im curious because I am in the process of getting a '66 and the front end is VERY soft, too soft. I already know Im going to get new shocks, but I would also like to get springs. The car has a small block and I will most likely keep it as such. I may try using big block springs if I can determine they offer a heavier spring rate.

Board footera