Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2014 10:29 am  #1

Rack and pinion mock up

I mocked up a rack and pinion on the 61 using wood templates. Next step is to transfer the pattern to metal. Just looking for some input from those that may have done similar or purchased a kit that was available previously before I go to that next step. I just copied from pictures that I was able to find on the net and in a few magazine articles. The inner tie rod arms will be in the exact location as factory when all done. The rack will be powered thru a hydroboost conversion that I also installed.

Last edited by dan_6776 (September 13, 2014 9:22 pm)

September 14, 2014 9:36 pm  #2

Re: Rack and pinion mock up

This is fantastic!!!  I would love to see more pix.  I have all the parts to do this exact mod to my 62, it just a matter of putting it all together.  Did you do anything to increase lock to lock o the rac?? Also why did you go strait up with the output shaft on the rac??  did you consider any other options? Would love to here more about your plans for this project as I have done all the planning for the same project on mine and would love more input.  

September 15, 2014 8:27 am  #3

It is an interesting story how I came across this conversion. While surfing the net on Galaxies, I came across an article about an owner converting to rack and pinion steering on a custom restoration. When the article mentioned absolutely no bump steer, I was sold. Thru further research I discovered a company (that no longer exists) that did manufacture "BOLT ON" kits which also captured my interest because of my limited skills. The kits were selling for $1700.00 dollars when they were available in about 2005-2007. They seemed pretty simple in design and fabrication, a few brackets and a rack. A while later, I located an Article in a Custom Rodder magazine where they did an actual install with the said kit. Contained in the article were some pictures and simple install explanations. Finally, while at Barrett Jackson auto auction in Las Vegas last year, I came across a Galaxie with the kit installed. I spoke with the owner who confirmed no bump steer and the car had good steering. So after a couple of years of gathering information and with the pictures in the magazine article, I decided to give it a try.
Now to anwer your questions: No I didn't do anything to change the lock to lock, I wouldn't know how. There have been a few articles in some forums stating your turning radius is not as tight with this set up. The output shaft goes straight up because of the way the kit brackets are fabricated and installed and because of the design of the rack.
The rack is a GM center steer unit, I harvested it off of a 90's Cavalier for $40.00. To hook up the steering column to the rack out put shaft, a Borgeson double u joint is used at the rack with a 3/4 inch double DD shaft and a single u joint used at the steering column. The double DD shaft is supported by a rod end bolt which is adjustable. I purchased all of these parts thru Jeggs, cost about $315.00
I wasn't able to find anyone who used this kit in combination with a hydroboost, so as far as I know, I may be the first to try it. The stock steering column is retained on the car. The challenge I have right now is to figure out how to make the connection of the new steering components to the flange on the end of the steering column where the rag joint used to be, as I could not find any pictures showing this.  I have a few ideas, but not sure. No rag joints are retained with this conversion.
One slight difference I did discover is the inner tie rods will be located in the same location as original, however, they are slightly closer together. This will mean I have to change the grease nipples to a 90 degree style. The center link tie rod holes are 4 5/8 inches center to center, the offset bracket connecting the rack to the tie rods will reduce this by about an inch less, strictly for clearance. I can't see this affecting the steering geometry that much, but I am no expert on this subject, just a guess.
Again, I am fabricating this system, strictly off of pictures. The brackets may not be to exact dimensions as available in the kit, but should be pretty close.
One last thing. I am installing a 4.6 with overdrive. The 4.6 came out of a Crown Vic and on those engines a rear sump oil pan is used. To clear the cross member, a front sump oil pan is required. Luckily, on the front wheel drive Lincoln's from the early 90's, they used front sump pans. At a local salvage I was able to grab a front sump oil pan, oil pick up tube and dip stick for $100.00.
 Hope all this helps. Need any more info, let me know, I will try to help.

September 17, 2014 8:02 pm  #4

Sounds like you did all the same research I did  I first found this mod looking at options for my Mustang and then looked into all the other options out there including the aftermarket one you mentioned.

dan_6776 wrote:

Now to answer your questions: No I didn't do anything to change the lock to lock, I wouldn't know how. There have been a few articles in some forums stating your turning radius is not as tight with this set up. 

The stock Galaxie steering travels 6.75" lock to lock.  The GM J car rack travels 5.25" lock to lock or 5.75" lock to lock depending on which rack you have.  The longer lock to lock travel rack will reduce your turning radius by 15%, and theo other one redues turing radius by 23%  There is a way to improve this.  If you remove the "accordion" boot from the rack there is a plastic spacer/travel limiter that can be reduced to get 6.25" travel lock to lock.  This gets the turning radius within 7% of the OEM design.  I can snap some pix of what I am talking about if that helps??

dan_6776 wrote:

The output shaft goes straight up because of the way the kit brackets are fabricated and installed and because of the design of the rack.

I am thinking of rotating my rack so that it tilts back at the same angle (parallel) that the steering shaft comes down.  This lines up the J-car inner tie rod holes so that they are in about the same location as the original Galaxie inners.  The only thing I am worried about is the u-joint angle.  I plan to mock it up first, out of the car, to make sure the u-joints wont bind.  

dan_6776 wrote:

I wasn't able to find anyone who used this kit in combination with a hydroboost, so as far as I know, I may be the first to try it. 

I will be right behind you  Not sure how you plan to connect the hydroboost to the rack but I found that the high pressure line for a GM j-car has both ends needed for the in and the out .  I am going to cut the steel ends off of the j-car line right before they connect to the rubber and then do an inverted flare to connect the pressure line to my existing hydroboost line.  I will then simply flare the steel end of the low pressure steel line and clamp a rubber return line to it.

dan_6776 wrote:

The stock steering column is retained on the car. The challenge I have right now is to figure out how to make the connection of the new steering components to the flange on the end of the steering column where the rag joint used to be, as I could not find any pictures showing this.  I have a few ideas, but not sure. No rag joints are retained with this conversion.

I am going to pull the steering shaft and DD the end with a grinder, that way I can use a 3/4" DD joint to attach the steering shaft to connecting shaft

dan_6776 wrote:

One slight difference I did discover is the inner tie rods will be located in the same location as original, however, they are slightly closer together. This will mean I have to change the grease nipples to a 90 degree style. The center link tie rod holes are 4 5/8 inches center to center, the offset bracket connecting the rack to the tie rods will reduce this by about an inch less, strictly for clearance. I can't see this affecting the steering geometry that much, but I am no expert on this subject, just a guess.

Why not make your bracket wider where the inner tie rods connect that way you can widen the holes  to recreate the OEM inner spacing??  If the angle of the rack I want to use works I will offset the rack slightly to the DS then bolt the DS inner tie rod directly to the rack with a spacer and bracket that goes past the other hole.  That way I can make it as strong as possible and maintain the OEM Galaxie inner tie rod spacing.  My inner tie rods will be heim joints, then I will use threaded rods to connect to the OEM galaxie outer tie rods.

I look forward to seeing more pix of your project as it progresses.  When I get to mine (some time this winter) I will post pix and details.

September 17, 2014 9:35 pm  #5

Thanks for the repy, it is obvious you have done lots of planning for this already! If you have time to post pix, I would like to see the adjustment available for the rack with the plastic spacer/travel limiter.

Basically I am just trying to reproduce what was previously available in a kit, that has worked for others. That is why I mocked up the rack in the way I did. I just don't have the experience to try and deviate. Your idea of tilting the rack does seem better, I just don't have the skill. I have a concern regarding your plan to do this however. By tilting the rack as you described will you have an issue regarding the supply and return lines off of the rack hitting the inside frame rail of the car? By offsetting the rack slightly to the drivers side, won't you create interference with the exhaust and the output shaft on the rack? By using OEM length of tie rod, I can't see how you could bolt the driver side tie rod into the rack directly. I think this would pull the rack over too much and you may start having exhaust interference?

Great idea about grinding down the steering shaft to accept a DD joint. I was thinking of welding a piece of round plate onto a short piece of DD shaft. I would then insert the short piece off DD shaft into a u joint and bolt the round plate to the steering column flange? Think this would work?

Picture of the car I saw at Barrett Jackson. Double u joint at rack, single u joint at column with a rod end support. You can see in the picture how close the header is to the steering shaft. I don't know that you will be able to slightly offset the rack as you are planning? Not sure you will have room to run the DD shaft off of the rack to the column.

Last edited by dan_6776 (September 18, 2014 8:17 am)

September 18, 2014 4:45 pm  #6

Dan, Daze

Just interested  but is the install of a Crown Vic front end that much harder to install    then what your doing for just a rack and pinion, especially the cost.
 I know Daze that your doing IRS on one of your cars, and I'm looking at the IRS for the
rear on my 62 Wagon.

September 18, 2014 9:48 pm  #7

In my case, a Crown Vic swap is just way out of my league regarding skill level. The rack conversion is a more simple project for me.

September 19, 2014 3:37 am  #8

I don't know about that "skill level"   seems to me you have more then most...
 I think I'll do more reading about the CV front end, the idea started out for
building an 57 F100 for my friend, which seems to be a "simple" install.
  I have not seen much on a 61\62 Galaxie yet, where the truck install is all over the net.
At our local pick your part, the CV front suspension goes for $100 on half price days.
Well best of luck, hope you post pics and complete article on the install when your
finished.
Best
Dave

September 19, 2014 6:02 am  #9

Dave,
Thanks for the kind words and encoragement. Honestly I did consider the CV transplant a while back. I came across an article about a guy doing the CV swap on a Ford truck similar to what you and your buddy are doing. I may still have the link. The issue for me was the way the frame opens up on the Galaxie to accept the coil. I thought it presented a problem. Someone with more skill could get by that issue I suppose. Anyway, best of luck with your project as well.
Dan

September 20, 2014 12:52 pm  #10

good point,
Best

Board footera