Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2014 7:31 pm  #1

Power Window motor

I need a power window motor for my 1964 Galaxie Convertible. The 4 look the same but my pass. side rear jams when all the way up. I've rebuilt the gearbox, greased it and centered the pinion. Can you help?

April 18, 2014 2:27 pm  #2

Re: Power Window motor

Having the same issue on my 61. I noticed when closing the window, it starts to bind in the convertible top weatherstripping and slows down, almost stopping. I took everything apart, cleaned and regreased window regulator assembly. I put some WD-40 in the rail weatherstripping, tried adjusting the window alignment and also got the motor rebuilt. It is working better, but until the weather stripping is replaced, i will still have issue. I got the motor rebuilt at a starter/altenator rebuilding shop. Cost me $75.00. Just a few suggestions...

April 18, 2014 4:32 pm  #3

Thanks, Dan, I did all that AND put new weatherstrip in. My window sticks even when the top is down!
I've been building rods and customs for 40 years and this one has me stumped.

April 18, 2014 7:30 pm  #4

Just a possibility...could the regulator spring need a little more tension to help assist the motor raising that window? Have you also tried to swap the motor from one of the other windows that work in order to pinpoint the motor as the problem?

April 19, 2014 6:21 am  #5

Good idea. I don't have another spring but I can swap motors from one side to the other. I'm getting quite good at removing the motors and gearboxes! Actually, the window goes up and down fine, just sticks when it gets all the way up. On the bench, I can't stop it.

Board footera