Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2014 3:09 pm  #1

Trying an experiment (coil over front suspension)

As some of you may know form previous posts, my Galaxie started out life with a big block 352.  It now has a small block with an entirely aluminum upper end.  This means the OEM big block springs, even though 52 years old, are way to stiff.  I tried to get replacement springs online but all the offerings are geared to the big block.  I don't mind a stiff front end but I don't like how high my front end is sitting.  I was not willing to cut my OEM springs because cutting them would make them stiffer.  The solution...I hope, is a set of coil over shocks with 350# spring and adjustable valving.  I should be able to make this fit and hopefully get the front end riding the way I want.  I ordered them today and will update when I get them.

January 30, 2014 2:37 pm  #2

Re: Trying an experiment (coil over front suspension)

got the parts today and they look like they should fit with out issue, even to the point that I am surprised that this kit is not listed as fitting a Galaxie.  I guess I will see for sure when I go to install them.

February 28, 2014 12:33 pm  #3

well i just joined the sight and already want to know DID THEY WORK ?????? I've got a 65 convertible that im thinking doing somthing similar to

1965 Galaxie 500 convertible times 2 one red one blue
1949 Ford Marmon Harrington 4X4 F5
1952 Willys millitary jeep
plus assorted other motor cycle and car projects to take up the slack times .All kept in the 1920's Art Deco Texaco gas station I call home

February 28, 2014 1:44 pm  #4

don't know yet.  I got them, then I screwed up my shoulder.  Its been almost a month and it is finally getting better, but I still am not healed up enough to mess with the front suspension.  I will post as soon as I have the results.  BTW welcome to the forum!!!

March 1, 2014 8:45 am  #5

I posted some pictures on here this morning and submited them and hav'nt seen them since and cant even find them . Is there some kind of wiating period when you submit pictures ? what happened to them when i submited them

1965 Galaxie 500 convertible times 2 one red one blue
1949 Ford Marmon Harrington 4X4 F5
1952 Willys millitary jeep
plus assorted other motor cycle and car projects to take up the slack times .All kept in the 1920's Art Deco Texaco gas station I call home

March 1, 2014 9:52 am  #6

you need to have 3 or 4 post before you can post pix or links.  its a anti-spammer thing.  Please try again as I would love to see the pix.

March 21, 2014 2:00 pm  #7

Any news on the front spring swap yet?

Would like to see how it goes.

Larry

March 21, 2014 7:21 pm  #8

No the parts are still sitting in a box on my dining room table.  My shoulder is almost completely healed.  I am hoping to get the springs changed and swap out the rear end before the driving season begins.  The snow is almost all melted so there is a bit of a fire lit under me to get out there and get it done sooner rather than later.  will let you know when I finally get them installed.

March 26, 2014 10:06 am  #9

Something to think about. The guys that are running the ridetech shockwaves in front are having problems with the way the shock is mouinting to the bottom of the lower control arm. It is busting out the bottom of the control arm. If I understand correctly the lower portion of the shock will be the only part in contact with the control arm. No spring in pocket  on the lower CA. I am sure I don't need to say anything. Be sure to reinforce the the control arm mounts for that. Doesn't the lower portion of the spring sit against a spanner nut that is used to adjust the ride height?

Larry

March 26, 2014 7:45 pm  #10

jrdufresne wrote:

Be sure to reinforce the the control arm mounts for that. Doesn't the lower portion of the spring sit against a spanner nut that is used to adjust the ride height?

Larry

You are absolutely correct.  All the spring pressure will be on the LCA shock mounts.  Things may change when I actually get the OEM springs out, but at this point I am planning on fatting a reenforcing ring and mounting the shock on top of the LCA.  I have the rear end torn apart now and when I get it put back together the front springs are next on my list.  Thanks for the ideas and concerns, I really appreciate it!!

Board footera