Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2018 1:13 pm  #1

New to Galaxies, please read

First, I want to introduce myself..My name is Brian and I just retired from the Marine Corps! Actually I spent a little over 12 years and was Med. Sep. Retired due to wounds recieved in combat.  Here's why I say this: My father and I have built a couple cars together, one being a resto-mod Gto, anf a 32 ford street rod. When I was in the hospital my father told me I wasn't allowed to die because we had a fishing trip planned and he wanted to finally build his 1966 Galaxie 500 fastback, he got while on leave from Vietnam. So, I make a decent recovery, to come home to that he had cancer and didn't want to tell me. Well, we got as far as planning the trip, pulling the galaxie out of storage and getting it to my house before he passed. This hit me pretty hard, but also gave me the resolve to MAKE THIS Galaxie one BAD -oh no I used a word I shouldn't have- (excuse the lang.) Anyway my father hated trailer queens and wanted to see something different at a car show or cruise in, he used to sigh at the camaros and chevelles and all the "regular" cars as he called them, so he wanted to build this Galaxie, and even for Galaxies he said wasn't the most popular year, but he liked the 66'   SO here I am, I have done full disc break conversion, .030 over 390 and a Flaming River Custom Fab Tilt steering column, thats about as far as I got once I started sanding what I thought were bubbles in the paint, turns out the rear pass. quarter from the dog leg to the wheel well has more holes in it than OJ Simpson's defense! So....I found this forum, and want to talk with guys and gals like you, and be apart of my build because this is very important to me!! I like talking with people that are passionate, and not arrogant jerks just bc I dont know everything they might. So I need help! I cannot find Panels for this car, the ones you can find are crappy 19 guage non-stamped panles and not worth the effort. Donor cars are like mermaids in a desert, in my area at least. I almost thought about going old school and chopping up an old hood and forming my own. I just need parts, and help. I will post in the wanted section, but I wanted to say hello and any help is more than welcome, hopefully soon you will see my father's 66 prowling the streets and cruise ins! Thank you

August 21, 2018 11:02 am  #2

Re: New to Galaxies, please read

Welcome to the world of Galaxies, or is that the universe of Galaxies? Sheet metal is tough to find, and you're probably lucky you don't have a 67. This link is to another forum and is a thread on an extensive restoration undertaken on a 66 7 Litre, so you could get some insight into what lies underneath and what goes into a quality restoration on these cars. There may be some listing of material sources that may point you in a direction to locate things. Best of luck and I hope we can be of some help.

https://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/598570-1966-ford-galaxie-7-litre-resto-thread.html

Board footera