Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2018 1:21 pm  #1

Has anyone converted a '65 Galaxie to air conditioning

I love this car, but this summer here in metro Atlanta with 6 min. traffic lights has been a nightmare. So my question is has anyone done an a/c conversion on a '65 or installed one of the underdash units? I would rather find a retrofit kit, but it seems that nobody has one. Need some advice quickly so I don't have to smell my nuts cooking at a traffic light too much longer.

July 12, 2018 1:49 pm  #2

Re: Has anyone converted a '65 Galaxie to air conditioning

There were dealer installed A/C units, so there must be people who have added those to their cars. What about an aftermarket system from one of the many aftermarket companies? Some places will even modify your heater controls to operate the A/C, which should be a nice stealth look.

July 12, 2018 3:23 pm  #3

Vintage Air is a vendor of a/c products.

July 13, 2018 8:16 am  #4

I looked at vintage air, and classic auto air. Nobody had a retrofit kit for the ole '65. They did have the under dash conversions. The only thing that scares me about one of the under dash ones is I can remember dealers installing them back in the 70s and 80s and them not working too well. Of course at this point, anything would be an improvement. 

I just sent an email to classic auto air as they DO have a complete retrofit kit for the '65 Tbird. Besides both being full size fords I have no idea how many parts they share.

Last edited by guitar74 (July 13, 2018 8:19 am)

July 13, 2018 11:07 am  #5

I think I usually see the universal kits. You can get vents and ducting and install them wherever you want in the dash, or just use the heater and defrost outlets. They will all have a system that should fit and work in your car. You'll replace your air box and ducting.

July 26, 2018 9:22 am  #6

Classic Auto Air called me back and for about the same price as the direct fit systems can put together a custom setup (that will work with my factory controls like you mentioned), so that's what I'm going with. Will post some pics of the R&R this winter when I get started. It's just too damned hot right now to even think about it.

Last edited by guitar74 (July 26, 2018 9:23 am)

July 27, 2018 1:41 pm  #7

That sounds great. Kinda funny that it is too hot for air conditioning right now. I'm looking forward to seeing, and hearing about the product and install.

Board footera