Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2018 1:54 pm  #1

1970 XL spring question

Hi, guys.  Newbie, here.  I really enjoy reading your posts.

I've just acquired a '70 XL fastback with a 429 4-barrel.  It is original and has only 38K miles.  The springs have sagged quite a bit from sitting and I want to replace them - factory height would be good, but I would really prefer about 1" taller.

From what I've read, it looks like my best bet to achieve factory height on the rear would be Moog CC805.  On the front, I've gotten a mixed bag of information - some say 8314, some say 8336.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

April 11, 2018 8:41 am  #2

Re: 1970 XL spring question

I would suggest contacting Eaton Detroit Spring, Inc. They have factory specs and can get you exactly what you need.

April 11, 2018 9:55 am  #3

I was going to post some spring info from the Factory Service Manual, but there appears to no longer be a provision to attach, or upload files to the post. We used to be able to post pictures directly, but it looks like that option is no longer available. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Usually we want the cars to sit lower than factory for a sportier look, not higher, although I like my car to have a little rake, so front lower than spec and rear a little higher. You want to make sure you have right size tires on it as well. Using off the shelf springs can be a little hit and miss. I installed MOOG cargo coils in the rear of my car over 30 years ago and that gave me a good lift in the rear. That created a good rake with the sagging original front springs. Front ride height was about one inch lower than spec range. A few years ago when I rebuilt the engine I replaced the front springs with a set of MOOG coils that we thought were a good match for the originals, but they are too high, it sits about one inch higher than spec range and spec range has close to a two inch range. My plan is to start with cutting one coil to see hopefully get the front down to a better height. Eaton Detroit should be able to make you springs that will get you where you want, and I don't think they are very costly, either.

April 11, 2018 10:46 am  #4

Thanks, Dan and 70XL.  I'll contact Eaton.  I'm not a fan of the "low rider" look, but I don't want it to look like a gasser, either. 

April 13, 2018 12:39 pm  #5

Here is the stock spring info I thought may be of some help, if not interest. Thanks to Daze for helping with this.

April 13, 2018 1:35 pm  #6

Great information, 70XL.  I'm about to call Eaton and I'll post what they suggest.

April 16, 2018 1:23 pm  #7

It looks like it posted the same image twice, and that is not the correct image for link, so I'll try the missing image again. This image is supposed to have the specs for the rear springs with wire diameter, coil count, free height, compressed height, etc.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img923/6416/jSyCTv.jpg

Last edited by 70XL (April 16, 2018 1:23 pm)

April 19, 2018 3:16 pm  #8

The car needed shocks badly, so I took a gamble and installed Gabriel load carrier (coil spring assist) on front and rear.  I got exactly 1" more ride height and it improved the drive drastically.  Thanks, again, guys.

May 2, 2018 9:01 am  #9

I just installed the same shocks on the back of my wife's '79 Tbird and they made a HUGE difference in the stance as well as ride quality. It seems to be getting harder to find shocks for these big cars that actually last without spending quite a bit. At least that has been my experience.

May 7, 2018 4:29 pm  #10

I would be a little leary about using the load assist shocks to change the ride height, they seem to be more of a band-aid for the real problem of worn out springs. The springs are intended to carry the weight of the car and if the new shocks raise the ride height, then at least some of the suspension load is being transferred to the shock mounts, which is not what they are really intended for. When converting to a real coil over suspension the mounting points have to be reinforced to deal with the full suspension loads.

Board footera