Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 10, 2018 8:36 am  #1

rare parts control arm fix

opinions ??

April 11, 2018 10:18 am  #2

Re: rare parts control arm fix

No experience with that vendor's parts, but I have an equivalent fix on the ride in my sig and the alignment is as steady as a rock.  OTOH, I don't recall seeing any complaints about that supplier.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

April 11, 2018 9:33 pm  #3

what part are you after?  need more input

April 12, 2018 7:16 am  #4

I assumed that OP was referring to
https://www.amazon.com/Rare-Parts-RP18021-Control-Shaft/dp/B004A31P3E
tho' I'm certain Daze's engineering addresses the same concern...

Last edited by pkevins (April 12, 2018 7:17 am)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior

April 12, 2018 7:36 am  #5

oh the offset shaft elimination kit, I forgot about that.  I am so glad Ford didn't make that "brilliant upgrade" until after 62.  And BTW that company is over charging IMHO $10 for hardware and materials and maybe $50 worth of machining for almost $300.  I never understood why the aftermarket had to be so greedy.  All the products I make and sell are at a fair price, I am well below the market average but I still make good money.  

April 12, 2018 10:29 am  #6

Yes Rare Parts clearly has amazing gross margins...

Kevin

April 12, 2018 12:23 pm  #7

Daze wrote:

oh the offset shaft elimination kit, I forgot about that.  I am so glad Ford didn't make that "brilliant upgrade" until after 62.  And BTW that company is over charging IMHO $10 for hardware and materials and maybe $50 worth of machining for almost $300.  I never understood why the aftermarket had to be so greedy.  All the products I make and sell are at a fair price, I am well below the market average but I still make good money.  

Do you offer the same offset shaft elimination kit ???

April 12, 2018 12:37 pm  #8

I don't offer the kit.  All the part sI sell were developed for my own vehicles and since my 62 didn't need them I have never put together a set, however there is lots of info online where people have made their own using OEM parts a bolt and some spacers.  If you yahoo "offset eliminators galaxie" and then click on images tones of homemade options come up.

April 13, 2018 10:33 am  #9

What a ripoff (I'm talking about the Rare Parts Amazon listing) for parts that you could replicate for around $5 at the local hardware store (minus the bushings). I need to start replicating these so called "kits" and selling them for $80. I would make a huge profit and still save the people that bought them a LOT of money.

Let's see. Besides the offset and centered bushing, looks like you have a couple of grade 8 long shank bolts, washers, nuts, and two what appears to be hollow tubes. That would total somewhere around $2.36 at Ace Hardware. Their target profit margin must be somewhere around 10,000%. So that must make the bushings worth somewhere around......I think everyone is smellin' what I'm steppin' in. 

Last edited by guitar74 (April 13, 2018 10:39 am)

Board footera