Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2018 2:17 pm  #1

Alternator??

I have a 61Galaxie and Im doing the Powergen alternator conversion. Their are several different wiring configurations found when looking this topic up. Who has done this and can show me a simple diagram to follow on this year?

January 21, 2018 11:43 am  #2

Re: Alternator??

Others with more skill than I will contribute their wisdom; here's my two cents from installing one on my '63 last spring.

A key point is is to be sure the wires drawing 12 volts (horn relay and the wires that run to the firewall harness) continue to work.  Without the "B" terminal of the regulator, they need to be spliced together.  I was careful to test this theory a couple of times before I completely removed the regulator and generator.  The other regulator wires I simply taped over and tucked away.

I splurged and bought PowerGen's 8 gauge charge wire (2 feet), running it to the starter relay (aka solenoid).  I left the other wires on the solenoid as is.  Also added a ground wire from the back of the unit per recommendation by the support tech at PowerMaster.

Had to reuse the pulley from the generator and securing the bottom fastener on the bracket was a bit of a chore, but being a hoarder of old nuts and bolts paid off.

Not buying the part with the generator light terminal, I was mentally prepared to simply disconnect the generator light but it doesn't light anyway.  Maybe I was lucky, so no experience on that point.  Prior to the project I had hung a volmeter under the dash during earlier diagnostics, so I know I'm getting 14 volts at idle (a few moments after the PowerGen alternator is fully "excited").

No complaints and am especially glad I have now that I've added relays to the headlight subsystem, not to mention future R&R will be easier with its lighter weight (water pump probably this spring).

Last edited by pkevins (January 21, 2018 11:43 am)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

January 24, 2018 8:06 pm  #3

Re: Alternator??

I like the 3G with built in regulator.  Easy to hook up and easy to find for less than $100

Board footera