Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 20, 2017 12:52 pm  #1

electric driven power steering

Has anyone done this? And if you have is there a universal kit? Not looking to remove parasitic power loss. Looking for an easy and cheap way to keep hyd power steering with my coyote swap 1968 galaxie convertible. KRC makes kit for the coyote belt driven about $709 to $799 depends where and how you buy it.  

December 21, 2017 12:36 pm  #2

Re: electric driven power steering

I recently researched this although for me I was wanting to eliminate HP loss.  The aftermarket kits out there all seam to use the Mini cooper pump.  By all accounts it seams like a good unit as long as you can keep it cool.  Let me know if you need more info and I will see what I can put together for you  from the research I did.

December 22, 2017 10:53 am  #3

I`ve only seen guys looking to go electric power steering, not to electrically power their hydraulic power steering. Have you considered converting to an EPS system. I believe you can retain your existing steering components, run as manual steering, with the EPS unit providing the assist. There were some threads on FMF that tracked applying EPS to old Fords.

June 30, 2018 12:34 pm  #4

any of the electric vehicals use electric power steering.
 and some other models do also.. the Vue if I remember does
and wreking yards are full of them.. But they mount under the dash. so you would need to 
cut your steering shaft, make up the two ends and place the electric motor in in between...
  there is also the electric brakes.. 
I've been thinking of doing the electric brakes on my 56 Packard, now that I've done a front brake 
conversion to Disc..
Best

Board footera