Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 20, 2017 4:38 pm  #1

Car covers.

I have a decent cover, but I hate one thing about it:No matter how clean my car is when I cover it, it is filthy when I take the cover off. Any suggestions on cleaning it. It is WAY too big for the washing machine.

November 20, 2017 4:58 pm  #2

Re: Car covers.

Find a laundromat with a commercial washing machine or extra capacity washer.

November 21, 2017 1:16 pm  #3

If it is not winter outside, like it is here, then what about a hose in the back yard? The laundromat is a good idea for access to an extra large washing machine, but you probably wouldn't want to put it in the dryer as in might shrink. If you don't want to use a hose, then consider washing by hand in the bathtub and hang outside to dry.

November 22, 2017 5:03 pm  #4

I'm in Georgia so we really only have two seasons; Summer and two weeks of "not summer". I'm going to go the bathtub route. The cover came with the car and is insanely big. Four feet too long for my '65. Maybe it is supposed to fit a  hearse or JFK'S presidential limo.

I would actually welcome four distinct seasons. Our only weather patterns are hot monsoon, drought, and ice storms. The leaves here never get that fall color. They stay, stay, stay, and then one day you wake up and overnight they turned a cheerful brown color and fell off all at once.

November 23, 2017 11:28 pm  #5

I have a cover for my 63 fastback that's cotton with a flannel nap backing. I wash it at a laundromat with commercial sized washers AND I dry it in one of the large dryers. It shrunk a little the first time I washed and dried it but it has been washed a lot since then and not shrank any more, so go for it if you say it's too long maybe it might help it to fit. Also before I cover the car after driving it for awhile, I always wash it and dry it before putting the cover back on. Also pieced together some 3mil plastic with duct tape to cover the car cover. It's a pain in the butt, but it stays clean.
           Bud

63 1/2 Galaxie 500XL 4speed with a '67 428 and cast 427 long tube headers under the hood.  Black on Black

November 26, 2017 1:59 pm  #6

Folded the cover in 1/4 and rolled it up. Weighed it vs. a full tub on super and the cover weighs less. Put it in a little at a time while unrolling and it fit. Washed in hot and rinsed cold which shrunk it a bit. Dried it and it shrunk a bit more. My wife sewed on some straps with loops from nylon and I now have a tight fitting cover.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I also washed the car put on a coat of liquid glass (awesome wax if you haven't tried it), and then instant detailer to help keep dirt from sticking. Just being able to pull the cover tight should help out now that it's not quite so long.

Now on to replacing the heater core in my '68 Cougar (a whole other p.I.t.a).

On a hijack note: If you've had issues with cores bursting,install the pressure side limiter like the 5.0 stangs, and '96 and newer police crown Vics.

Board footera