Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2017 1:30 am  #1

Ford warranties

Hello all,
I bought a 2013 Ford Escape earlier this year and took the 200,000k bumper to bumper extended warranty as I do 200km of gravel road every wee to get to work. 

Twice on my way in, my ABS system malfunctioned and the hill start assist was unavailable on it, with lights going off everywhere on the dash. The vehicle has about 9000 kms on it. Clips holding the moulding around the wheel well broke as well. 

I dropped off my vehicle at a Ford dealership to have it checked, and I left for Florida afterwards. I got an e-mail from the rep saying the the work would not be covered under the warranty as the onboard computer indicated that either I was driving aggressively or on very rough roads. I explained to him that I did 200kms of gravel per week and that no where in my warranty contract does it state that I cannot drive on gravel. 
He replied that Ford does not cover warranties for vehicles that have been "sideways". 
Any suggestions for when I get back from Disney with my family and pick up my vehicle? 

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
http://forums.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32337

product launch

November 16, 2017 10:00 am  #2

Re: Ford warranties

Never had that issue with Ford before. What a coworker who moved here from Canada DID have with his Honda (Canadian car) was that a dealership would not do warranty work on it because it was a Canadian model (dumbest excuse I have seen). I had a similar issue with Toyota when we bought a car in Georgia and purchased the extended warranty.dealership said it was good in entire southeast. We got transferred to Tennessee and NOBODY would do a warranty claim stating they were not in the Southeast. Now if you look at Tennessee on a map......

I would hazard a guess you are getting the same issue. Here's the thing: I was a service writer at a dealership. The claim process us the same no matter WHERE the vehicle is from or sold. If it was the case then Bombardier, a Canadian manufacturer would not have warranted their product here. Same goes for the Honda's, Kawasaki's, etc. It is pure laziness/lack of giving a crap on the dealership's part.

I would suggest emailing Ford directly. I would also suggest bypassing customer no service and email either the Vice President of Media Relations, or the VP of Investor relations and lay out the issue politely, but also state the you a)Chose to purchase a Ford product and b)Chose to purchase what had turned out to be a useless warranty that is being made so by a service department that seems disinterested in getting paid directly by Ford to provide their service. This generally falls into a category of a service manager (usually the one in charge of filing, and following up on warranty claims) being to lazy to do the paperwork and followup work. When I took over our service department, I found over $200,000 in unpaid claims only to find out that they needed either a small note of work performed, or were completely unsubmitted. Try either VP and post an update. I would be surprised if you didn't't get your repair completely covered.

November 16, 2017 2:05 pm  #3

With these dang new cars keeping track of of everything that happens with the car and where it goes, how it was driven, etc., its enough to creep you out and feel like Big Brother is always watching. It truly sucks when the dealer says the roads you have to drive on are too rough for the vehicle to handle and that voids the warranty. Ford should be ashamed of itself if they uphold that determination. I chuckle at the "sideways" comment. The telemetry recording in the black box may say the vehicle had skidded out, but if you're not rally driving and drifting all the corners, it shouldn't matter if did spin out, or do an unintentional donut, at one time. The particular dealer may be having some trouble with Ford over warranty claims and they would rather try to get full pop for the repairs. It is still brand new, with 9,000km, and it should not shake itself apart in that short of a time. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

November 16, 2017 2:30 pm  #4

guitar74 wrote:

Never had that issue with Ford before. What a coworker who moved here from Canada DID have with his Honda (Canadian car) was that a dealership would not do warranty work on it because it was a Canadian model (dumbest excuse I have seen).

The cross border warranty thing is standard to all car makers, as I understand it. It is done to protect dealers, especially ones close to the borders. All the vehicles are clearly marked as to what country they are intended for sale in, not only because the rules and regulations governing the vehicles have some differences between Canada and the States, but also because of the pricing structure due to currency exchange. A lot of people learned that lesson here a few years ago when our Canuk Buck was at par and above the US dollar. The pricing structure doesn't/didn't keep pace with the currency exchange rates and the Canadian pricing was still 20%+ higher than US pricing, so there was a big saving going to the States instead of buying locally. A lot of people didn't now the warranty would be voided, and others took the risk for the immediate cash savings. My local dealer told me that the dealer agreement with Ford said he could have lost his dealership if he sold a new vehicle into the States, and that is supposed to be industry norm.

Your co-worker did get screwed because that warranty provision is not supposed to apply when you change country of residency. He was not an American who bought the car in Canada to save money, he is a Canadian who moved to the States and brought his car with him. His warranty should still be honoured and the Honda dealer did not display much understanding of customer service and the intent of the cross border warranty exclusions.

Board footera