Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2017 3:51 pm  #1

Coyote engine in a 61 Country Squire

Greetings all,
I am considering installing a Coyote engine in my 61 Country Squire.  Anyone done that to say a Galaxie?  Sources of parts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

October 4, 2017 9:32 pm  #2

Re: Coyote engine in a 61 Country Squire

Hello Longroof

I know it has been done, 
here is an article doing a 66 mustang, and if they can get one into that early body, you can get it into the
big ford... One problem might be the oil pan, front or rear sump and the other is the motor mounts..

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/coyote-engine-swap/

engine dimensions  are  L 28   D 26    W31"
and looks like they are front sump oil pan

check out this site

http://www.critesperformanceparts.com

Best
PS: keep us informed....

October 5, 2017 10:12 am  #3

Good start, just gathering info right now.  The engine I have is a 390 balanced and blueprinted with Edelbrock aluminum heads and a comp cam. It was dynoed on the stand at 432 HP, but I am only getting 13 MPH. I drive my cars and want more reliability and better gas mileage. We just got back from a 13K road trip with 30+ other cars.  I'll keep posting as I get more info.  Thanks, Deane

October 5, 2017 1:16 pm  #4

Wow! a 13,000 mile road trip is quite the adventure, especially with 30+ other cars. I wonder if you mean 1,300 miles, which is still a huge accomplishment with a group like that. I'd think the Coyote would return at least twice the mpg as your hopped up FE, but not the torque without, maybe the addition of a turbo, or two. You could get better fuel mileage and performance with a throttle body fuel injection swap and you'll be able to buy a lot of gas with what you'll spend on the Coyote conversion. What trans are you running? Maybe an overdrive would help your FE use less fuel on the highway? Post up some pictures, please.

October 5, 2017 5:52 pm  #5

It was 13,000, not 1,300. I put 68,000 on my 61 Impala in 4.5 years.  Go on the Good Guys site and read about tht tour. I started in Nor Cal, went to Oregon, Deadwood, Michigan, Canada, Vermont, North Carolina, Texas and then home.

October 6, 2017 4:53 am  #6

I've had my 62 Country sedan for about 3 years now, and not put 1 mile on it... 
everything is in place except for a floor... but that's another story..
   in doing research, a little interesting info came to light, that is all Country Squire's were 9 passenger
cars, and the Country Sedan could be ordered as a 9 passenger... 
   I have ran into at least 3 people who own the wagons and did not know they had a 9 passenger..
I mean it is not a true third seat, and if you did not know it, you would never figure it out...
   not well documented in there literature... 
I went with my 351c and put a 4R70W behind it, with the (US) controller... 
  I found a good floor pan and am working on installing it.  
Best

October 6, 2017 9:37 am  #7

That is truly impressive, 13,000 in one trip, and that is a fantastic looking wagon. Very impressive. It passed a lot of things, but few gas stations, eh?. I seem to recall the 65 Country Squire we had would get around 16mpg, and that was with the larger Imperial gallon, so that would be right on your 13mpg in US gallons. Maybe more precise fueling, like EFI, would be the only way for those FE's to get much better fuel consumption. I think the 351W in my 70XL does well when I get 20mpg on the highway, again in Imperial gallons.

November 9, 2017 6:31 pm  #8

What rear gears are you running? I would think that fi, and an overdrive would net you better mileage, and with an od trans would also give you even more torque multiplication because of not gear splits.

Just food for thought and keep in mind this is a stock engine, but when we picked up my wife's '79 Thunderchicken, we netted 24.5 mpg. Keep in mind the engine is a stock 351m, so not apples to apples, but it is a carbureted, has a three speed trans, but lazy although freeway friendly 2.56 rear gears.

It was so good that I thought the gas gauge was in need of calibration, or broke. I don't expect that kind of mileage once I build the 434 stroker, but you know, for me and her it will be worth it to have real compression,  an acceptable hole shot, and the ability to get out of its own way.

Right now it sips gas but is LAAAAAZZZZYYY!

I know the coyote has similar peak numbers, but the torque difference might net you the same mileage just from having to put your foot further down to get it underway. It is STILL just five liters. That 90 ci deficit will have lower average numbers under the curve. I say keep the FE, and go od transmission with an fi conversion.

Last edited by guitar74 (November 9, 2017 6:36 pm)

November 9, 2017 9:04 pm  #9

Guy  out here in Seal Beach has a Coyote in an 81 celiac, now that took one hell of a shoe horn, and he
has the picture to prove it!!!

Lots of money for the swap, and you need the new transmission. and the complete wiring harness 
with the computer... 

How about just spending the money on  a conversion kit to a new Ford overdrive unit. 
  I'd say one complete would be around $3000. including the computer.
Of course you could also spend the $1100 on one of the new EFI units  to.
Best

November 11, 2017 9:10 am  #10

There are tons of coyote motors on ebay and you can usually find complete packages with 6spd autos. The F150 versions have more torque and less hspr and the Mustang has more hspr less torque. 

The biggest problem you might encounter is the 6r80 is huge. The old 289 in my 64 is getting weak so I have started looking at something similar as well. 

Board footera