Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 13, 2017 1:54 pm  #1

How many teeth ?

Ref. 65 FE 352 V-8...Cruise o magic:  How many teeth in the flywheel?

July 13, 2017 3:10 pm  #2

Re: How many teeth ?

Assuming it's original, it should be 184 for the flex plate.  That's the number on the parts for 1965 352s Summit lists and experts I trust on the crusty "FE" Forum for such drive trains AFTER 1964 so state.  Also, 184 is the number for the two parts listed by [url=http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1965,galaxie,5.8l+352cid+v8,1435752,transmission-automatic,flexplate,8608]Rock Auto[/url]. If I did not know the history of the car, I'd get out a red felt tip pen, take off the flex plate cover and ask my son to turn the crank to be certain, but that's only from lots of other experiences in my time under the hood and elsehere...

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

July 13, 2017 3:16 pm  #3

Thanks for the info.  My sweet 59 Sunliner has the 352 from a 65.  The local Bumper to Bumper wants less then $40.
I won't mess with any on line vender at that price.  With an intake, valve covers and air cleaner from a 59,
it looks like a 59.  No clue where the numbers are in the casting.

July 13, 2017 4:17 pm  #4

You're welcome; I haven't heard the Bumper-to-Bumper store name in years.  But now I'm curious, $40 for a flex plate or for a starter?  If the latter, can you pull the old one and compare side by side at the counter? 

Also, I forgot about this collection of FE data as well as opinions, most of which I think are valid, but not enough personal experience to swear by them, although I tend to believe Hawkrod's paragraphs on decoding part numbers and castings.
http://www.fordfe.info/Forum/FAQ-Style-index3.html
good luck

Last edited by pkevins (July 13, 2017 4:19 pm)

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

July 19, 2017 7:51 pm  #5

184 for the flex plate

July 19, 2017 8:28 pm  #6

Thanks for the info.  Kate get's a ride on a flat bed to the transmission shop for the flywheel.
They also get to install the replacement starter.  The generator also died the same day the 
Bendix quit.  When it rains it pours.

July 28, 2017 6:05 pm  #7

Our Kate got a swell ride on a flat bed to the tranny shop.  They installed a new flywheel. They also installed
washers as spacers....not having a clue that a rubber wrapped ring was missing.  I ordered one from MAC's
this morning.  Kate also has a new rebuilt generator and a new voltage regulator.

Board footera