Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2017 7:39 pm  #1

disk brake

What would be the best front power disk brake conversion kit for a 67 Galaxie with no power drum fronts ? ...used the search  engine on website no luck .....thanks for any help

July 7, 2017 2:21 pm  #2

Re: disk brake

You should be be able to swap in spindles and disc brakes from a 69 - 71, or 72, I think, which would keep it all Ford. Look at the Scarebird kit. It uses your drum brake spindles and has a bracket that uses GM calipers, I believe. That might be places to start. Use Google to search the web for those things and see if it gets you something to work with. I'm sure you could get something from Wilwood and Baer, etc., but you may have to piece things together.

Last edited by 70XL (July 7, 2017 2:23 pm)

July 9, 2017 5:30 pm  #3

Wilwood has several front kits for your '67 that use your drum spindle. I have classic Series manual kit on my '68 Cougar and love it. The four piston calipers bite in and stop. Check Dearborn Classics for the power booster master cylinder setup. I believe it is around $277. They will give you the choice of drum/drum, disc/drum, it disc/disc which is nice. You might try the manual master with the classic Series wilwood. With your manual master you will have a good pedal feel, firm but not hard. My manual setup feels like my wife's Fiesta with electric power assist.

If you decide to stay manual just make sure you use a 1" or smaller bore or it will feel like your trying move a mature oak tree instead of a brake pedal.

July 9, 2017 6:50 pm  #4

thanks for the help ...been out of town

July 9, 2017 10:34 pm  #5

Good suggestions above.  Not knowing your basic strategy (driver, restomod?), something to think about as you consider options is that some "kits" require larger rims than you may have.  Of course, if you're planning on bigger wheels anyway, than that's a moot point.  And, new spindles may mean new outer tie rods, which sometimes need replacement.

Kevin
63 Galaxie 500 Sport Hardtop (aka fastback), z-code, 4 speed, Rangoon Red, White roof, black interior
Was with my dad and brother when he took delivery 30 July 1963

Board footera