Galaxie Forum Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury DazeCars www.galaxieforum.com

This forum is for all years of the Ford Galaxie and all other Full-size Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury cars. This is a place to share information, skills, pictures, and stories for the purpose of building friendships and furthering the enjoyment and restoration of these cars

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 4, 2017 5:54 pm  #1

New mooncrater material on sail panels

Some months ago the sail panels in my 63.5 Galaxie got new mooncrater material. My plan was to use a glue gun and hot glue. But a frient advicen me to use contact adhesive. And so I did. Tried two diiferent brands and followed the instructions how use the adhesives. Looked good, but after some weeks the material became detached in the middle of the pressed boad, the sail panel, and made an airgap.  As shown on the drawing 

Does somebody know the correct way to do this and to get material not to get loose in the middle?

Last edited by 1976kjell (July 4, 2017 6:01 pm)

63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL, 390 4b, C6   ----       1982 MB 380 SEC
1984 Ford Sierra Xr4i                        ----       1987 Ford Scorpio 2.9i Ghia
2008 Ford Mondeo                            ----        1976 Combi camp 2000

July 7, 2017 2:44 pm  #2

Re: New mooncrater material on sail panels

Did you cover bother surfaces with glue  and let the glue dry, of tack up as per manufactures directions, before putting the two together? Contact cement is typically very permanent when done properly, but bad glue will not bond well either, so if the application was correct and it still failed, you might have bad glue.

July 17, 2017 4:09 pm  #3

I mean I did it correctly, but with some failed tries first. Maybe too much glue was used. Any other alternative than contact cement? The last image show that it doesnt work, it also comes loose at the edges. Inside the red area in the upper image, the material is also loose

1984 Ford Sierra Xr4i                        ----       1987 Ford Scorpio 2.9i Ghia

July 18, 2017 8:48 am  #4

That is very frustrating. I have had similar issues in the past. I followed directions like you did only to have the fabric separate from a panel. It was worse whe the item was exposed to the sun.
In my case, the reason the glue did not bond properly and let go was for a couple of reasons. Firstly I used old glue out of a spray can that had been sitting around for a while. I found some brands inferior. Initially it holds but eventually lets go. 3M seems to work the best. But the main reason...not enough glue. Depending on the situation some products need a double application of glue for good adhesion. The fabric or panel will absorb the glue on application leaving very little on the surface for binding. Did you apply two layers of adhesive to the fabric? Try applying one coat of glue, allow to dry and then apply a second coat before matting both surfaces together. The first coat will seal the surface, the second coat will be for adhesion. When applying the second coat is also when I spray the other item to be glued. Also, if your sail panel was not clean or had lots of old dry glue on it, that would also prevent good adhesion.
Since I started with two applications of adhesive on porous surfaces, such as fabrics I have never had problems.

Last edited by dan_6776 (July 18, 2017 8:52 am)

July 20, 2017 11:36 pm  #5

One of the brands that was tried was wurth, which also should be high quality.

One solution could be using epoxy first to get a "gloss" surface and then use contact cement. But after the experience I now have with contact cement , Im sceptical  

So I may instead use another type of glue which bonds very fast. Using a fast bonding glue, the material have be "rolled" on , step by step

Last edited by 1976kjell (July 20, 2017 11:37 pm)

July 21, 2017 10:23 am  #6

Maybe you should try some test panels and see what glues and techniques will work as desired. Contact cement is fast bonding, because it bonds instantly when put in contact with it's self. Contact adhesive can be unforgiving when it works as it should because it typically bonds to itself instantly. To me, it looks like the contact cement is not bonding to the substrates very well. What does the back of the vinyl look like after a failed attempt? Is the surface of the vinyl well coated in glue? How about the fibreboard panels? If the glue is not sticking to the substrate, then you either have the wrong glue, or bonding surfaces need to be prepped for the glue. Check with a local upholstery shop to see if they have any advice for you.

August 6, 2017 9:23 pm  #7

3m for contact cement... 
second, I would lightly sand the backing board, give it a fresh surface to adhere to.
both items must be sprayed and let it dry to the touch, then your ready, 
It is more difficult to make old pieces stick together.. make sure they are as clean as possible.
best

Board footera